Help...It won't start!

Hi.

1992 Stanza. Auto.

I parked it on Saturday and went to start it today (Tuesday) and no go.

No turn over...no chu..chu...chu...nothing.

?????????????????????????

I tried to boost it but still no go and the battery seems to have lots of juice. The stereo, lights, etc. are all working a ok.

WTF is going on???

Reply to
Rex

I don't think anyone can diagnose your car from that description. It could be many things. Bad fuel pump or pump relay, failed crank sensor, timing belt could have slipped, or many many other things. You need to figure out if it has spark, then if it has fuel pressure, then if the cam is turning.

-jim

Rex wrote:

Reply to
Jim

Or power for that matter.

My Nissan experence is limited, but the first thing that comes to mind is whether is does your car's electrics work when you turn the key to the ACC or ON position, and is there a dimming of the lights when you try to start the car. If your battery has power and it's not starting, could be as simple as the wires to the battery, or where the battery wires connect to the battery, body, or where ever else they go. If the start position has little effect on battery consumption, I'd suspect the starter it self is getting no power. Could be as simple as a fuse, wires to the starter, or the starter it self. Note, as i've had no problems with my Nissan yet my troubleshooting is limited to generalizations.

In my 1998 Sentra there is a fusebox directly next to my battery. This would be the first place that I'd look. Idealy you should have an amp meter, but watching the headlights dim is the next best thing. I know the local autosupply shop sell dash mount ones for under $20.00 that i've used by adding aligator clips to the ends, and hooking up between the ground strap and the end of the negative wire to give more accurate readings on consumption.

Reply to
matt zukowski

Jim...I think you missed that he said "No turn over..."

Thus the items you mention are very unlikely to be the primary cause.

It sounds like a case of a high resistance or even open cable going to the starter. Or perhaps in the starter "control" circuitry.

I'd sure do a good job of tracing down all the cables, cleaning the ends and checking for hidden "lack of conductor" inside the outer insulation. It's awfully easy to forget to check the cables from time to time and all the while they are being eaten from the ends, hidden from view.

Jim wrote:

Reply to
max