Help Problem with my Nissan Sentra. It is the alternator 1992

My Nissan Sentra has had various problem ever since I gave it for

90000 miles service with a local recommendde Repair shop. I have spent 1300 dollars in a span of 6 months. Ironically, before the servicing, I did not have a single problem. My car has made 2 trips to the shop.

This time, while I was driving, the engine simply dies at a stop light and we had to get it towed. I did notice that the light were working fine but the car would not start.

I replaced the battery anyhow as it was week and the car started without any problems.

I am suspecting that the problem is alternator. When I checked with another shop, I was told it it will cost be about $ 550 if it is the alternator that needs to be replaced.

Do you guys think it is the alternator. If so is $ 550 reasonable to pay for an alternator ?

Can anyone walk me thru steps for replacing the same ? You can email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks. Sandy

Reply to
SandoKaan

I had an alternator go on my '90 Sentra when it was 7 yrs old, still with the original battery. After you remove the alt (which should only be held by a couple bolts), you can take it to a place like Pep Boys where they'll test it for free to see if it's good or bad. Chances are that it's bad, though. I bought a re-built one for $230 7 yrs ago, and it was still in the car when I donated it back in '01.

Good luck!

Bhuvan

That sounds high for an alternator change. A simple task. Get a Haynes manual for your Sentra (between $15 and $20). It describes how to replace the alternator and many more maintenance and repair tasks. Gee, if I lived near you, I would do the task for less than half that price.

Reply to
rose

Dont overlook the obvious- dirty battery terminals. Japanese alternators are pretty robust and rarely go bad. My experience is when they stop putting out voltage its because the brushes are worn out.

-Pete

SandoKaan wrote:

Reply to
speedy