Help with rumbling noise from 1992 SE-R

Recently bought a 1992 Sentra SE-R and wanted to ask if anyone has any ideal about a rumbling noise/vibration I am getting. The car has over 200K on it but I recently had the valve cover off and it is pretty clean internally. No smoke, pulls hard still and most everything still works: Cruise, A/C, Sunroof, trans does not pop out of 5th, etc. But I get a rumbling vibration under the floor beneath the driver when accelerating through the 1500 - 3000 RPM range. As if something is loose hitting the floorboard. I checked the exhaust and it is not the problem. I did notice the boot on the driver's side of the rack and pinion is ruptured but did not think that would be the problem. Before I took it to a mechanic, I would like to have some ideal what it could be so that if he suggests a fix, I will know that makes sense. Any suggestions as to what I could check would be appreciated. I am mechanically inclined but did not want to "Easter Egg" fixes. Also if there is anywhere (online maybe) I can get door hinges for less than the $50 the local dealer is asking that info would be appreciated also.

Mike G.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Is there an easy to check them. From the bottom of the car they look OK. Not sure what to look for. In the older V-8's you would simply put the car in drive and rev the engine while holding the brake and see if the engine lifted from one side. Is there a simple way to check these mounts?

Reply to
William Michael Greene

did the local dealer want $50 per door hinge? if so, you can get both here for around $50 plus shipping. as for the rumbling sound, it sure sounds like a motor mount going bad. Enjoy your SE-R (i've owned a 1992 SE-R for that last 14 years, and its still a joy to drive) Also when you replace your door hinges take the fender off (only about 7 bolts and it makes lining the door up so easy!) Good luck!!

Reply to
LouieG

Oopss!! forgot the link

LouieG

Replaced the front and rear transaxle mounts. I think the actual problem was with the front mount. The rear mount was in good shape, the front was in bad shape. I changed them both and the rumbling is all but gone. Thanks to all that replied.

Reply to
William Michael Greene