hitch ball question for Frontier

I have an 07 Frontier and need to get a 2" hitch ball to tow a lightweight log splitter.

Went to Pep boys and they sell them, but at different shank lengths. The owner's manual doesn't have anything regarding the length of the shank.

Thoughts?

Thanks Doug

Reply to
Doug

Are you trying to tow using the step bumper? If so, you are limited to a

3500# trailer and a 350# tonque load.

I suggest you read the Nissan Towing Guide (see

). If you are going to tow a lot, I'd suggest getting a receiver hitch like the one Nissan sells as part of the trailer towing package (see
). Your goal is to have the trailer as level as possible when towing. I'd guess the ball with the least shank that still allows the trailer hitch to clear the bumper under all conditions is the one you want (unless the log splitter is unusually high).