How Change Brake Light 97 Pickup?

Have NO clue on how to change the tail-light or brake light bulbs on my '97 Nissan XE. Thanks In advance.

Reply to
DunnoWho

Maybe the problem of not being able to see how to do this could be because there's a bedliner in this truck ???? Any information is appreciated.

Reply to
DunnoWho

on 6/13/2007 9:10 PM DunnoWho said the following:

The bedliner has to come out in order to get to the two nuts holding the lamps in. After I removed and replaced my 97 bedliner, I used a 1" hole saw to cut

2 holes on each side so I can get a socket on them the next time without taking out the liner.
Reply to
willshak

Thanks a lot!

I finally was able to find almost this same info in the Nissan user manual - although it was hard to find & the tiny sketch was far from clear. There is one hole in the bedliner on both sides. So I could look in a see & feel that there is a bolt head right where that book is showing it - the upper bolt. Since I don't haul dirt or sand much & this truck is getting old - I'm going to cut LARGE holes in the plastic bedliner. Where the upper and lower bolts are located there's no inner wall to worry about drilling into. The holes will be made large to make it easy to get a wrench on the bolts. I'm plan on using a 1/2 inch conduit holesaw to cut 4 "corner" holes - then use a saber saw to make a larger square cut-out. THANKS A BUNCH for your help.

Reply to
DunnoWho

on 6/20/2007 7:03 PM DunnoWho said the following:

Why not pick up a hole saw at the hardware store? It fits on a drill and is neater and less work than all that cutting you plan to do.

Reply to
willshak

I did get my rear brake and backup lites repaired. I followed the adivice on here and used a hole saw, but I had to cut out extra room for fingers to get the bolts started okay. One large connector on the left side had light corrosion which cleared up fast after a shot of "DeOxit" tuner cleaned spray from Caig Laboratories - the BEST dad-ratted stuff I even used - and I was in the industrial electric and electronic racket for 40 years.

The right side brake lite socket was badly corroded and I needed to use sandpaper to get the crud off. Then there were a couple of holes that allowed salt spray to get inside the light housing - so these got stuff with a rag. All lights okay now.

Reply to
DunnoWho