How fast is a NEW Z anyway?

Don't respond with check Goggle. that isn't GOD on the net. ok. while saying that... Z35o compared to a.... Mustang... or a Corvette... which one is faster? layman terms... I don't know about horses and torque and all dat. Just yep. A z can beat a Audi TT but not a Porsche 911 Reason is... I was downtown and totally smoked a type R Acura but honestly had a hard time beating this Camaro down the street from me. and its stock. we stopped and talked.

Very curious and I see the newsgroup is very informative. maybe others will be interested also.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

I refuse to race my new 350Z. It is my baby and I bought it as much for looks as I did for performance. However, I have found that the front end torque is so powerful that I automatically smoke every domestic car and most imports at traffic lights (without even trying). But the big V-8's such as the Vette, Trans AM and Camero will blow the Z away every time. I truly feel that cubic inch displacement is king when it comes to street racing (IMHO).

Corvette...

Reply to
KG

Muscle car owners often say "there is no replacement for displacement". But there is...technology! Is why in its day, the inline 6 cylinder 183cid Mercedes 300SL was faster than the v8 283 cid Corvette.

Reply to
sdp1s

Your not letting go at the right RPM. Like the line from F&F1 "Your granny shifting when you should be double clutching...". Which makes some sense but double clutching is for turns. I'm not proponent of street racing, it makes the legal racers look bad.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

I suspect the 'vette is worth more now, although I haven't checked. Still just a Chevrolet through. I'd rather drive a Euro-mobile.

One thing that a lot of people miss by staring at HP ratings is the torque curve and gearing, which is what really counts. You might not beat people off the line in some cars, but you might take them from 20-70. They might take you above 80. YMMV.

Then again, by the time you've accumulated the money to buy a 350z, you should have matured enough to keep your ego in your pants.

MHO, Bob

Reply to
Bobert

This is way O/T, but it's Merc over over the Chev all the way - while both are collectible, the 300SL is one of the most sought after collector cars ever. I just checked with the Barrett-Jackson site and one rec'd a high bid of $270,000 while a properly restored fuel-injected Corvette might get you $100,000. On the other hand, the Corvette would attract less attention...

MH "alot is not a word"

Reply to
Uncle Mike

Which 350Z do you have? I know the track version has a better exaust system which should give you some small HP increas over the touring 350Z.

Regards,

-- Matt Costanza Aust> Don't respond with check Goggle. that isn't GOD on the net.

Reply to
Matt Costanza

The stats i have are a little different. I found the 300SL coupe at

2849lbs, 250hp (US version), 228ft/lbs torque, 0-60 in 8.7 (7.2 for the US version convertible) and maximum speed of 165mph. For the Corvette: 2985#, 250hp for the base 283 v8 (283hp was for the optional fresh air intake version).
Reply to
sdp1s

NADA reports the 57 Corvette with Fi at $168,125 for high retail. The 57 300SL high retail is $307,500.

Reply to
sdp1s

Powered by a fuel injected 283, tubular space frame, Dion rear suspension. Those not familiar with the SS, it is more in the lines of a Grand Prix racer. Single windshield  with torpedo shaped head rest, gives this car a look that would let it blend well with the European race courses. This is not the everyday Corvette.

If you could buy one (and you can't) I suspect that it would go for way more than a 300 SL (or SLR for that matter).

Best,

Phil Sharkey

--------------060409080405050501040303--

Reply to
Phil Sharkey

didn't I say "layman's terms"? lol

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Interesting.

Can I get one of each to try out?

Please?

I'll take very good care of em.

:)

-- Kai Ponte Perfect Reign - The Peterson Connection All about the Scott Peterson Murder Trial

Kai Ponte

Shouldn't that be "De Dion" ? I think Dion was some singer in the fifties.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

X-No-Archive:yes

for what reason would you want to turn it off?

Launching at the race track for one after you pull the brake fuse because of Nissan's stupid Torque Management.

~«©¿©»~

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Max

Reply to
Max

Sorry but you got the wrong Nissan, you need a turbo and then you wind up the boost.

For those that don't know. A Silvia S13 is a Japanese spec 240SX S13 notchback with a SR20DET engine and fixed headlamps. Me? I like my UK spec 200SX S13 - pop ups on a fastback with a CA18DET.

Peter Hill

Reply to
KINGLIFER

It's moderately "quick", but not "fast". There are a quite a few cars out there that will beat it pretty easily. But for the price, it's definitely one of the quicker ones around (only behind the Cobra SVT, EVO and WRX STi in the under 40k category I believe).

Reply to
M Power

Larege displacement engines certainly provide plenty of power, but there are always exceptions. My 2003 BMW M3 for example, comes stock with a 3.2 liter naturally-aspirated inline 6-cylinder (that means no turbo or supercharger for the non-gearheads) that produces 333HP. I've run a 13.25 in the 1/4 mile and I know one guy that ran a 12.9 with better tires....but everything else stock. Then you can look at the WRX STi and the EVO, that both have turbo-charged 4-cylinders that are both running in the high 13's to 14's (possibly low to mid 13's for the STi with a 5,000 rpm clutch drop) with upwards of 300HP in stock form. On another note, why do refuse to race your car? It's a sports car and was *made* to be driven like one. My M3 is my baby as well (an expensive baby), but I drive it like it was meant to be driven.

Reply to
M Power