How good Nissan trucks?

Hi,

I'm considering a new Nissan truck. The last one I owned was a Datson '72. I'm wondering how you Frontier owners like you trucks. Are there any common problems or weaknesses? How are the 4X4s. Do they work well off road?

Any opinions or comments (good or bad) will be appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Darryl " Charter" Skelton

Mike,

I am the owner of a 1996 Nissan pick-up (D21 model, king cab). And frankly, I think it sucks. The problems I am having are these:

Check Engine light comes on, even though the engine is running fine: Error code 1447, Purge monitoring. (EVAP Control System Purge Flow Monitoring)

Ok, take it to my mechanic, and problem could be any of several valves, pressure sensors, holes/contamination in the cannister, or holes in the purge line. First thing, replace the gas cap - no joy. (Note that I've NEVER topped off the gas, something I heard contributes to these purge problems)

Second thing - change Purge cannister - no joy. The light goes out, but then I pick it up from the mechanic and it comes back on when I am driving home.

More troubleshooting: computer is showing error code of

P1105 MAP/BARO Pressure Switch Solenoid Valve. Mechanic thinks the valve is not getting the signal from the computer. Thinks computer is faulty.

Mechanic replaces computer. Everything seems fine for about 1 week while he is driving the car to make sure the light does not come back on. (he uses about ½ tank of gas doing this testing)

I get the car back today, and start car - no check engine light.

But about 8 miles down the road, the light comes back on again!

If Nissan can't get their sensors and effectors designed properly, and can't get the computer to be reliable, then I would suggest you look at Toyota, Chevy, or Ford for a truck.

Beware, this check engine light fiasco can be costly and frustrating, to the point where I am about to try and find out where to cut the stupid wire that lights it up.

Reply to
cliff in houston
Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Bill Schnakenberg wrote in news:1Zwvb.2251 $ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

I am on my third truck no problems and they last forever

Reply to
Ski