How to lock the glove box

I have a dumb question.

I bought a new nissan altima 2006 several months ago. When I got the car, I was given a key and a remote. Recently I realize that the glove box has a lock, but I can't lock the box using the same key that I use to open the door and start the engine. I can't even insert the key into the key hole.

I called the dealer. They insist that there's not an extra key and I can lock the glove box using the same key that I use to start the car.

I guess I need to drive all the way to the deal to check it but anyone here maybe know a quick answer?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ryan

is your remote an Intelikey? do you actually need the key inserted into the ignition switch to start the car or can you just turn the ignition switch on? if you have the Intelikey remote, it already contains a key which can be used to gain vehicle access, should the remote not work. it sounds like you're using the valet key to enter and start the car. valet keys aren't able to lock/unlock the glove box. as intended, valet keys only allow the user to unlock doors and start the vehicle.

Reply to
: P

Thanks for all the replies! The problem is solved.

I did get two master keys, one backup master key and two remotes. My

06 Altima (2.5) has no valet key. The backup key (the > I have a dumb question.
Reply to
Ryan

Your "backup master" key is the valet key. They are fatter by design so they won't fit into the glove box lock. You probably damaged the lock forcing it in there.

Reply to
E Meyer

The idea behind the valet key is that you can leave it with the car when you are in a situation at a hotel with valet service, parking lot or leaving the car for service so your valuables are locked up. You need to beat on the dealer to get one. I bet they used the valet key and lost it that is why you have a dupe. Enough said.

I did get two master keys, one backup master key and two remotes. My

06 Altima (2.5) has no valet key. The backup key (the > I have a dumb question.

But the "backup master" key can still lock and unlock the glove box with a little bit force. Other two keys also work. My question is that a valet key should have no way to operate the glove box even with a little force, right??

If the deal didn't give me the valet key, I can ask them but if the "backup master" key is > Your "backup master" key is the valet key. They are fatter by design so

Reply to
Ryan

Given that the glove box is nothing but a piece of plastic held in place by plastic hinges and a couple of screws, how much security do you expect from it? It only takes a minute to remove it from the car completely. If you want real security, don't leave the hope diamond in there when you valet park the car.

If your "backup master" visually matches the other keys > But the "backup master" key can still lock and unlock the glove box

Reply to
E Meyer