How to remove Frontier tail light?

Need to change light bulb and get access to wiring, so how is the tail light attached? Is it attached on the side with two bolts behind the bed lining? Frontier XE is 2004 if it makes any difference. Thanks.

Reply to
** Frank **

You have to remove the bed liner, or at least be able to lift it enough to get at the nuts. After I had to change a bulb by lifting the liner, I drilled two holes using a 1" hole saw bit on each side so I wouldn't have to bother with the liner the next time.

Reply to
willshak

i spoke to a service manager and he told me that you have to remove the two bolts that secure the tailgate latches on either side. he did not mention removing the liner. i have not tried it yet so i really don't know. d.

Reply to
D.

There are 4 bolts, 2 for the latch and 2 more behind it, all the same size. I don't think its the 2 for the latch as once removed the tailgate may fall. I'm removing the 2 behind the latch - we'll see. You don't have to remove liner but just bend it to get at the bolts.

Reply to
** Frank **

hey frank, what did you find you had to do regarding the tail light bulb ? thanks, d.

Reply to
D.

Haven't had time to fool around with it. Actually I'm installing a backup camera to see what's behind the truck when fully loaded so I need to get to the backup light circuit. I'll post back when finished.

Does your Frontier has the following issues:

No hand emergency brake for the stick shift. (Like to have hand brake when parking on a hill.)

Once the air is on, there is no way to turn it off unless you restart the truck with the air off. This is not a defect but a feature, so I was told by Nissan.

Windows have clicking sound when partially open, Nissan couldn't fix.

Reply to
** Frank **

Remove the two bolts behind the liner.

Reply to
** Frank **

hello frank,

1) mine is an automatic and i have a handbrake. 2) I've never noticed that situation with my a/c. that sounds ridiculous to me. 3) i don't have any clicking sounds with my windows. hope this helps. d.
Reply to
D.

Nissan got it backwards - handbrake for the automatic and footbrake for the manual.

With the windows open see if you could hear the compressor kicking on and off. Agree its ridiculous, none of my other cars do this.

A little more about the taillight: Use 10mm wrench and the bottom bolt is a little tight to get to but don't need to remove the liner.

Reply to
** Frank **