how to set timing after timing belt breaks

I know it's likely I have one or more bent valves, but I'm going to give replacing the timing belt a shot anyway. Problem is I don't know how to set the valve train and crank/pistons to be in sync again. I know I am suppose to find TDC on the compression stroke for cyl. 1, but I don't want to move the camshaft till valves for #1 are closed to allow compression for fear of bending more valves. Can I move #1 cyl. to TDC and then rotate the crank 90 degrees either way so no pistons are a TDC then move the camshaft till the rotor points at cyl 1 position? How do I set the valves via the cam sprocket to be in sync. I have a Haynes book, but it's not really helpful on this. If someone has pics and/or a description of how to do this that would help a lot.

Thanks

Reply to
res17ad0

Oh yeah, it's a 1988 Sentra.

Reply to
res17ad0

TDC is stamped on the damper. You pull the head before moving anything. If you have to ask these questions, I would suggest you take the car to a local buddy that has done similar repairs. The job is not hard, but is complicated, and must be done correctly. Another possibility would be to get the car to a technical school that teaches automotive engine repairs. The cost will be very low, and the instructor will oversee repairs. Even if you have the factory books there are lots of details that they omit when they describe a tear down. A valve collision needs to be done at an automotive cylinder head shop that has the smarts and knows what to look for. Maybe someone else can give you better pointers!!! Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you!!!

camshaft till the

Reply to
Johnboy

Not being rude but I don't think you understand what's going on and moving either the cams or the crank without being careful can bend valves. BTW if you've bent valves, replacing the belt is a waste of time if you aren't going to fix the valves. You still won't be able to drive the car.

Reply to
Steve T