How to shift from D to 2 while driving?

I was climbing a hill and seems not enough torque to climb it. I need to switch from D to 2. Should I stop to shift it? Must I leave accelearator pedal and fully depress the foot brake? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
twtoronto

You can just shift it. You might also consider disengaging OD (usually a button).

Reply to
JimV

Overdrive is the highest gear. I could tell you why it's called that, but it wouldn't really help you. It should shift down by itself if you push the gas pedal hard enough.

Reply to
JimV

You can do it while driving. Best thing to do is push the throttle far enough so that when the tranny changes down from 3 to 2, rather than the tranny forcing the engine speed to rise, the engine speed is already rising and matches up better with the tranny in 2nd gear, making the downshift smoother.

CD

Reply to
codifus

I've heard these types of questions from people before and I wondered if they were serious.

I just always found it funny that Europeans growing up with manual trannies were as confounded by autos as Americans growing up with autos were with manuals.

TFM?

Reply to
The Fat Man?

More simply put, "Just mash on the gas pedal harder. It'll shift itself when it needs to. There's a reason it's called an *automatic* transmission.

TFM®

Reply to
The Fat Man®

I didn't mean to floor it when I said, "mash on the pedal harder". Sorry, I'm from Tennessee.

I was actually agreeing with you.

I'll even do it again, I much prefer a manual transmission, but they're getting to be scarce as hen's teeth anymore. :-( I just find it comical when people who've never driven an automatic feel compelled to ask how to shift it.

Unless you're stuck in mud or snow, put in D and leave it alone, it'll do the shifting *automatically*, hence the name.

TFM®

Reply to
The Fat Man®