I fixed my door!

I posted before about my '92 Sentra having a saggy driver's door. the lower hinge is worn out so the door "clunks" when opened or closed.

I've debated fixing it, but I put a lot of time into fixing other stuff on the car when I got it, and had lots of problems with bolts snapping off, even though I am very careful in working on it- 176K and 17 years in the Rust Belt tend to make fasteners rather fragile.

So, I let it be. In the past month, however, it has developed a new trick- the door doesn't shut all the way, if you don't notice it, it leaves the warning light on the dash on and runs the battery down. The first time, I was parked on a hill and bump started the car. I then put a spare battery and jumper cables in the trunk. After I figured out what must have happened, I then turned the dome light switch back on and made a two part check getting out of the car- 1. door is fully shut. 2. visual check that the dome light is not on.

Still, this seems rather tedious, and having a dead battery always happens at the worst time. I had been debating ordering a new hinge from Courtesy Nissan, along with a few other parts, but had put it off.

I then realized that my registration was due the end of this month- about $60.00, non-refundable. My inspection was also up next month.

So, I got the car inspected, which it passed with no surprises. So, door or no door, I can drive the car for another year, so the registration is worthwhile. I then went out to spray the hinge bolts and fender bolts with Liquid Wrench to let them start loosening up for a week or so until the parts were ordered and delivered. I then thought to try loosening the bolts holding the hinge to the door, because they are accessible (the hinge to body bolts require the fender to be removed). They loosened without much more than loosen-spray-tighten-spray-loosen more-remove. Surprise!

It then occurred to me that placing some washers under the hinge would take up the "slop" and perhaps fix the problem. Half-assed, yes, but worth a try on a car on its last legs.

Half an hour with a hydraulic jack, assorted washers, wrenches, screwdrivers and other implements of destruction later, the door was fixed. It opens and shuts like a dream. I wish I had fixed it two years ago when I got it.

I'm still in shock. Anyhow, I hope this story helps somebody with the same problem.

Reply to
Plague Boy

I traded the upper passenger hinge of my 92 SE-R with the lower (sagging) drivers side hinge. Works like a charm

Reply to
Louis

I considered this. Although not a true "fix" in some regards (you just wind up with a different saggy door) I could have lived with it because I don't use the passenger door that ofter. The main drawback was the labor involved vs. the cost of the hinge ($40.00).

Could you describe how you switched hinges? Did you have to remove the fenders? The doors?

Thanks!

Reply to
Plague Boy

I had ordered the hinge from a Nissan dealership, but they sent the wrong one...So I decided to just switch them instead of waiting another

3 weeks for them to get the right part. I removed the fender (not all the way, about 7 screws) it took about 1 hour. The passenger door does not sag since the sagging hinge is on top now, instead of the bottom on the drivers side door.
Reply to
Louis

Duh! That's right, the passenger door wouldn't sag. Well, I hope mine is fixed now; I think the car is only good for another year or so. The pieces falling off of it have grown larger in the past few months .

My local dealership was no help. I can't remember if they couldn't get the hinge, insisted I had to buy both, or couldn't guarantee the hinge would fit.

Reply to
Plague Boy