Idle problem

I have 93 quest that has an idling issue. When you come to a stop, the van will start out idling fine but as the seconds progress the idle gets weird. It starts idling up and down. You can watch the RPM's move as this happens and even when the brake is pressed and you are in drive you can feel the van, feeling as its trying to lurch forward. When you start to take off it seems to sputter for a second then runs fine.

This idle issue happens in drive or park (i'm assuming other gears too) and it doesn't matter if you just started it or have ran it an hour. Any ideas? I'm not a car person at all....does this seem like a fuel pump issue maybe? Hopefully not something worse.

I am fairly sure i have manifold problems too (and it definately needs a new muffler).

Any ideas? Chris

Reply to
IWD

One other thing that came to mind as possibly being bad is the TPS (throttle position sensor). This will need to be checked with a volt/ohm meter to verify.

Wil

Reply to
Truck

You have clearly described a plugged up EGR Valve. You have 3 options:

  1. You can take it to the shop, pay about 0 for the part plus whatever labor they charge.

  1. Take it out on the hiway, set it at a speed to obtain the highest RPM's without causing damage for about 10- 20 min. and burn the crap (emission residue) out of the valve. (usually works well) Keep in mind that third gear at 40- 50mph is probably safer than 4th at 70-80mph and you'll use about the same amount of gas.

  2. The hardest. Find the EGR Valve which is often on the rear of the engine and very hard to get to, remove it, and clean it out manually. I used a rotary wire brush on my drill, then a pick to get what I could see. You may consider a solvent. Make sure it won't eat the parts. I don't remember seeing any rubber in mine, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

To prevent it from happening again: Avoid excessively quick take offs and stops, bumper to bumper traffic, and make sure it is well tuned up. Your manifold problem may also be a significant factor.

Reply to
Chris

Hi Chris, Usually I just lurk but wanted to give you what limited advice I could. My Nissan pickup did that just before it went out completely. From troubleshooting seems I have a idle control / throtle position sensor problem, like Wil suggested. Good luck,

-Red Wolf

Reply to
Red Wolf

Reply to
bigi

No, really? I was just going to let it sit and build us a nice thick residue....DUH....that was one of the first things I tried.

-RW

Reply to
Clawe Dragonwolf