Ignition key didn't turn

This morning the ignition key wouldn't turn. I fiddled around with gear shift, steering wheel, removed and reinserted key and it worked! Restarted several times later as I drove around with no problems.

2012 Versa Hatchback. Any ideas? I'm concerned it may happen again and strand me. I suspect I did something wrong. I've only had the car a few months. I'll read the manual again later for clues when I have a little time.

I'm a worry wart.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

If the key is worn (and it shouldn't be with a 2012 model unless it's got incredibly high mileage), it can sometimes not work. Sometimes simply turning the key over to use the other less worn side works, but you may need a new key.

Other than that, you should check for a known problem / recall with the ignition system. There have been recalls for some cars, although I don't remember Nissan being one.

Reply to
Your Name

I should have said, the most obvious thing is simply the position of the steering wheel. The steering wheel may need to be turned one direction or the other to free up the ignition barrel (which can be difficult with power-steering or steering locks).

Reply to
Your Name