Ignition key replacement cost?

I think someone might tried to break in my car, 1995 Nissan 240sx. dont' know why they want to steal relatively old car in the first place. Now I don't even need a key to turn on the engine and the steering wheel won't lock, the car wasn't stolen since the aftermarket alarm that I installed must have stopped the engine from being started.

The questions is, how much am I looking at to have it replaced? Thank you so much

bob

Reply to
bob

Crooks steal old cars to use as get away cars for other crimes they commit.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

It cost me about $100 for a new set of locks for a '95 200sx. I plan on putting them in myself. The bolts that hold the ignition assembly onto the steering column have to be drilled out (not very easy or accessible)

Gary k

Reply to
gary

why the f*ck are you asking on the internet? Call the DEALER, a BODY SHOP, a General Auto Mechanic, and a Locksmith.

Reply to
Im Right

Well, I am asking them too, for an inexperienced person like me, it's good to check around for price. thanks

Reply to
bob

Bob,

A replacement ignition will run you retail about $135 dollars from your local Nissan dealership

- Part #48700-73F25. You might want to check the following links for dealers that might sell them to you at a discounted price...anywhere from a 10 % to 25% discount on retail price

As difficult as you may find this to believe Nissan 240SX's are popular amongst the younger generation as they can be used for "drifting" - the ability to get the car sideways at yet still maintain control of the car while in a forward motion....see the attached links for additional...

In Japan the Nissan 240SX is known as a "Silvia" and is quite popular with young adults. In Europe it is known as the 200SX. Both the Japanese and Euroupean versions come with more powerful SR20DE or CA18 engines, (220+ hp) compared to the USDM KA24DE version, (155 hp). Some

240SX owners that I know have been able to import the Japanese version engine & install it in their car upgrading the horsepower in their cars.

Fortunately for you, your aftermarket car alarm was able to stop the theif, (theives), from taking your car. There are certain parts off your 95 Nissan 240SX that can be interchanged with the older 1989-1994 240SX S13 chassis. The person that attempted to steal your car may have known that & tried to take it for that reason.

Anyhow, if you'ld like more information about your 1995 Nissan 240SX you may want to consider joining the free 240sx Owners mailing list at:

can also post all your 240SX related questions to this mailing list &several knowledgeable 240SX owners will answer your question. Another place to look would be the
website - they have a FAQ page that can answer most of your questions.

Anyhow, the 240sx you have is actually a pretty good rear wheel drive car. Imag> I think someone might tried to break in my car, 1995 Nissan 240sx. dont'

Reply to
REMOVETHISidlafie

ID '95 240SX SE

Thank you so much for informative and extensive explanations. I saw the drifting phenomena the other day on TV and I found it fascinating. Over here (NorthWest-Oregon) my 240sx can be very tricky to control since it rains a lot and snows sometimes (maybe I am just a lousy driver :) )

By the way, I was playing with the ingnition lock an hour ago to figured out how they thief broke it, as I was inserting and pulling out the key about half a dozen times, suddently the lock worked again!. Apparently the mechanism got stuck, there might not be a thief after all. I am embarassed about this, but owe everyone who has been kind enough to give me an advice for the update. Seem to me now, that it's a design flaw since I could literally start the engine on with my office key, and drive the car. Althought, in my opinion, this kind of flaw isn't acceptable for the obvious reason.

Sorry if I wasted some of your time, I do appreciate your kindness.

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Reply to
bob

brainless twit

Reply to
Im Right

Bob, Not a problem.

As for your back end sliding out on your 240, you might want to consider: 1) swapping out your tires by going to a performance tire with a wider tread 225/50/15, (or 16 depending on your rims) or 2). just keeping your gas tank fuller - the back end tends to get loose more on an empty gas tank - no weight holding the back end down.

You also might want to take a can of lube spray & just spray your ignition switch. The mechanism could be sticking due to lack of lubrication. It's been known to happen. As for using your office key to start your car, yeah that's been known to happen with Nissan, Honda & Toyota. The pins on the locking mechanisms tend to wear down the keys making it easier for you to start your car without the proper key - any shaved key would work. You might want to consider going to the dealer with your VIN & ask that the dealer cut you a new key for your car. It will cost you but the new key will work. Just make sure that after the new key is cut that they buff it down somewhat as newly cut keys tend to jam in the lock mechanish & stick also. It's the edges from the freshly cut keys that causes the problem...that's why the key's gotta get buffed.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that your problem was solved. If you decide to keep your 240, you definitely should consider subscribing to the 240SX mailing list. The information the list provides you is quite valuable.

ID

bob wrote: > ID > '95 240SX SE >

Reply to
idlafie