Infiniti G35 Sedan: Gas Tips?

I love my new G35 sedan, but I gotta tell ya, it chows gas like there's no tomorrow. I live in Chicago, and granted there's a lot of stop-and-go but

225 miles on 16-1/2 gallons of gas? That's effin' ridiculous!

Yes, I knew it was a gas hog before I got it, but jeez, this is really something. Does anyone know of any tips specific to the G35 that could help conserve a bit of gas? For instance, would keeping the VDC off help?

Thanks.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Hildebrandt

VDC will have no effect.

I have a 02 Nissan Pathfinder. Same engine as yours (pretty much).

I used to get 15.5 - 16 MPG combined city/highway. Now I get 17-18 city/highway and 20-22 all highway MPG.

Change your driving style. Learn the lights on your route and try to time them. Look ahead at traffic if you see them braking let go of the gas and coast.

My whole theory is to use the brakes the least possible. The less I use the brakes the higher my MPG is.

Reply to
Matt

why using breaks burns gas? oh you mean you have to press on the gas afterwards?

I use highway as much as possible.

but then again I am in Toronto we are a highway.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

I have a QX4 with that engine, and I agree the gas mileage is lousy. But even I get better mileage than you're getting. I believe you can expect better mileage as your motor gets a little more broken in.

Reply to
ppointer

Reply to
KINGLIFER

"KINGLIFER" wrote in news:rRVeb.5795$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Whenever you use the brakes you convert kinetic energy into heat. This is energy you will have to generate at the engine, again, therefore consume more fuel than if you were just coasting or going slower. Sometimes you must brake (red light, end of trip etc.), but other times you can avoid braking by driving slower to begin with - a matter of driving style. It will extend the life of your brake pads as well.

I have done 30K miles on a set of front brake pads and they still have 66% tread.

Reply to
Ed

HAVE U EVER THOUGHT OF REBADGING YOUR CAR IN TO A NISSAN SKYLINE R35 BECAUSE IT IS BASICALLY THE SAME CAR

Reply to
EPSYCHOBOB