Information Until I Obtain A Factory Service Manual

I recently purchased a 1995 Nissan XE King Cab 4x4. The speedometer and the odometer aren't working. When the ignition is first turned on sometimes the needle will remain at 0. Other times it will jump to 100 and remain there regardless if the vehicle is moving or not. Other times the speedometer needle will indicate various speeds irrespective to the actual ground speed.

On the counsel of mechanically inclined friends that insisted the speed sensor (a permanent magnet AC Generator) was at fault, I replaced it (to the tune of $114), but the symptoms remained the same. I tested the old sensor, and it appeared to be ok. With a variable speed drill motor I operated the sensor from zero to about 500 RPM. At the slowest speed the drill would operate the voltage was just under 1 volt. At 500 RPM the voltage was near

10 volts (not RMS). The frequency varied from 5 to 58 cps.

I managed to have a peek at a wiring diagram that indicated two wires from the sensor to the speedometer. There were also wires to the ECU, and the odometer. The check engine light is on with the code indicating a speed sensor circuit problem.

I haven't had the dash apart yet, but I suspect I wont be able to refrain for long. Is the speedometer/odometer serviceable, or is it just replaced? If the speedometer/odometer has to be replaced how do you set the mileage to what the old unit registered so the actual mileage on the truck will be indicated?

I would appreciate input from others that have experienced speedometer anomalies such as I am currently.

I suppose I could opt for having the dealer repair my vehicle, but I view it as an opportunity to learn something, grow closer to my new toy, and would rather do the repair myself. I am very mechanically inclined, and have tons of tools. If I could just obtain a factory service manual, or borrow one to copy, it would boost my confidence to tackle various repairs.

Thanks in advance for any time or assistance provided.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee

Louis:

I had a similar problem with my '93 Quest. The way I solved it was by cleaning every connector in the chain including the ones behind the dash. I tested it all the way along the way... including an entire circuit check from the dash out and back. But, I would not have been able to do that without the factory manual with the electrical diagram as well as the connector diagram that helped me locate all the actual connectors. FWIW, it can also be your speedo and a few folks told me that was the problem. The factory manual takes you through eliminating everything else and has you replace the speedo when you are sure that everything else is checked as best you can.

*If* you specs are the same as mine, then the sensor should generate .5v when you spin it as quick as you can by hand. It should have 200 ohms of resistance between the terminals. HOWEVER, I doubt that your new sensor is bad as well as your old sensor. If you use contact cleaner on the connectors, remove the soft, colorful, rubber gaskets from the connectors - they expand with the application of contact cleaner and become useless.

If you clean the speedo connections so that you are sure they are good at the dash, try banging on the dash and see what it does. If it changes the reading, I'd give you odds it's the speedo.

All this IMHO, I'm shooting from the hip.

Reply to
Bob

Great and useful information!

I read 283 Ohms on the old sensor, and the voltage output is appropriate.

Cleaning the connections to clear this type of problem seems fruitful as the signal is very low current, and poor connections would present quite a obstacle.

Now if I can just obtain the factory service manual I'll start in on my quest.

Thank you.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

I am having the EXACT same problem with my 1995 Nissan pickup. In checking with a local dealership, they stock the speed sensor for $140, and would order the speedo head for $160. They require the title and the old speedo head, then will fax the order to the supplier, who in turn will set the mileage. As far as a manual, I am going to my local downtown library and look through their auto manuals. They let you make copies of any pages pertaining to the vehicle. Still looking for a solution for my ABS light staying on...... Good Luck.

Reply to
iam_adam2k