Intermittent Smoking

I own a 1995 Nissan Hardbody XE pickup truck, 4 cylinder, manual transmission with 192,450 miles. I change the oil and the oil filter every 3000 miles. Very seldom I have to add oil between oil changes. It has been 450 miles since the last oil change and the old oil did not appear very dark, or what I consider dirty.

When I crank up the truck, there is the usual wisp of brownish smoke from the exhuast as soon as the engine begins to run. I will not see the brownish smoke again until I crank the truck the next time.

Lately, I have begun to notice a light bluish smoke from the exhaust. Sometimes a huge puff of light bluish smoke will blow out of the exhaust as soon as I press the accelerator after idling for thirty seconds or longer, like when at a stoplight. As I drive down the road, there is no evidence of more smoking. The strange thing is, I can repeat the same idling scenario at another stoplight and when I press the accelerator, it doesn't smoke. It might be several more times before the huge puff of light bluish smoke will appear when I press the accelerator.

Since I have been monitoring the light bluish smoking episodes, I recently replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor button. Inspecting the old spark plugs, I was surprised to find each one a very dry, chalky white. I was expecting to find at least one spark plug brown or carboned up and/or wet and oily.

I conducted a "smoking" search on this newsgroup and found where someone suggested a leak in the exhaust system could possibly be the cause of their smoking problem. My exhaust system appears to be OK, but it certainly isn't new.

¿Does anyone have any advice as to what could be causing my intermittent, light bluish smoking problem after idling?

Thanks in advance, Davïd Greenville, NC

Reply to
Ðavïd

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:36:52 -0400, "Ðavïd" wrote with a sharpened banana:

Sounds like leaking Valve stem seals to me, easy replacement for an experienced handyman regards

Andrew Clark All Round Car Guy

Reply to
Johnny B Goode

Agreed. Had an old Dodge 318 V8 that did that until I replaced the seals.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Thanks Andrew and meat plow. You may be on to something. I have noticed a mild ticking from the engine, almost like a watch ticking. I purchased the truck used with 183,000 miles on it and it runs very smooth.

I am wondering just how difficult it is to replace the valve stem seals. If I have to worry about dropping a valve into the engine, I might not want to attempt it. Otherwise, I am somewhat mechanically inclined.

¿Do you have any advice on how to replace the valve stem seals?

Thanks, Ðavïd Greenville, NC

Reply to
Ðavïd

On Sun, 2 May 2004 21:07:38 -0400, "Ðavïd" wrote with a sharpened banana:

Ok if you have access to a compressor make up an adaptor out of an old spark plug or purchase one from an auto equipment supplier to apply compressed air to the cylinder, then lock the vehicle in gear with the brake on and the cylinder you're working on at TDC firing stroke then the valves should stay up and the job can proceed with haste regards

Andrew Clark All Round Car Guy

Reply to
Johnny B Goode
Reply to