JustDrive DAM radio converter

Does anyone have any experience with the JustDrive DAB radio unit? This is an add-on which installs digital radio in a car with a conventional AM/FM system. It uses a windscreen-mounted aerial and a small receiver which (I think - the site is a touch vague as to details) transmits the DAB signal wirelessly to your FM set. Control is by a hand-held remote, which sounds distinctly iffy to me, but they advertise (but don't illustrate) a steering wheel mounted control as an alternative.

I can't find a single user review on the web, which might in itself be telling me something. The possible weaknesses would seem to be the aerial and the FM link, which must surely be prone to interference. But I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one of these or has seen and heard one in use. Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

DAM? Damn! I meant DAB, of course. Sorry about that.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Does anyone have any experience with the JustDrive DAB radio unit? This is an add-on which installs digital radio in a car with a conventional AM/FM system. It uses a windscreen-mounted aerial and a small receiver which (I think - the site is a touch vague as to details) transmits the DAB signal wirelessly to your FM set. Control is by a hand-held remote, which sounds distinctly iffy to me, but they advertise (but don't illustrate) a steering wheel mounted control as an alternative.

I can't find a single user review on the web, which might in itself be telling me something. The possible weaknesses would seem to be the aerial and the FM link, which must surely be prone to interference. But I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one of these or has seen and heard one in use. Many thanks.

I used a similar device a few years back to interface an iPod to the FM in a work vehicle. Here in Florida the FM band is pretty crowded and finding a clear frequency was a challenge. Lots of potential for interference. But it was all I had until my newer work vehicle came with an auxiliary input on the stereo.

Reply to
Kevin D. Marsh

Yes, I suspect that's going to be an issue here in the UK, too: I've heard that the FM band is particularly crowded at weekends, when a lot of small unauthorised stations hit the airwaves. I've also read mixed reports about the effectiveness of window-mounted antennae.

I'm wondering if I can simply swap the existing double-DIN unit in the car (a Nissan Note Tekna) for a new DAB set and use the existing FM aerial and wiring. The Note's aerial is more vertical than some, though not perfectly so, which might help. Or does DAB require an entirely different type of aerial? I must check.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Did Nissan stop fitting diversity antenna and radios? Nissan radios had

2 aerial connections and would switch to whichever was giving best signal. Doesn't matter how much you paid for an after market system, all you could do was buy an adaptor that connected both aerials together.

Looking at those dates it may have been dropped in 2010. Ha Ha just when DAB was getting going and you were going to have a use for the dipole antenna.

My 1993 RS13U (U=Euro) 200SX 1.8 turbo has a 2nd dipole "diversity" antenna in the rear screen, looks like 3 rear screen elements at the very top that don't demist (can't be seen though mirror). Looks like I won't need to stick one of the DAB aerials on the rear screen as it's already fitted.

Thing with DAB is that if it has no signal then all DAB stations that share that frequency have no signal. And is very likely that all the DAB signals come from the mast so there is no DAB signal at all. So you can't just change station or band like you can with normal radio.

Just shove a SD card or USB stick in the DIN slot of a £35 Tevion from Aldi and have done with it. If you have double DIN get an oddment box that filled the 2nd slot, from a 200SX 89-94.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Peter, thanks for the reply. I've never heard the term "diversity aerial".

I don't quite see what you're getting at. Are you advocating listening to recordings rather than live broadcasts?

Reply to
Bert Coules

On 23/02/2014 15:33, Bert Coules wrote:> Peter, thanks for the reply. I've never heard the term "diversity aerial". > >> Just shove a SD card or USB stick in the >> DIN slot of a £35 Tevion from Aldi and have done with it. > > I don't quite see what you're getting at. Are you advocating listening > to recordings rather than live broadcasts? >

Yes.

100% music of your choice. No adverts. No blah blah blah. Radio pays a small licence fee as they only have about 12 plays/hour. 36min music, 24min blah blah.

OK so that doesn't work for BBC Radio 4. Where you learn interesting things like just about every "late" period is probably an early term miscarriage. Which sort of makes the 2nd plot line of Grease a tragedy.

Nor for Drama on BBC Radio 3.

Reply to
Peter Hill