K/N vs reg air filters

Ok should i buy a k/n air filter or stick with the 7.99 fram air filters.

I hear alot of + and - on k/n

a tv show on hot rods did a test and the k/n on increased hp an average of 1 hp and only increased the mpg 1-2 miles per gallon.

would like to hear from all sides.. j

Reply to
lpage

A lot of flow testing and road testing has been done over the years - filtration is one of those perhaps/maybe subjects... Why change from the manufacturers standard? Have you got a problem with bore wear or gunging up the Piston rings? The sort of 'improvements' quoted for aftermarket filters are often due to the fact someone has (by the nature of the task) at least changed the Filter..... Tyre pressures and general maintenance have more of a measurable effect..........

OK - I just read this back and it sounds as if i'm some expert - I'm not... and I'm not preaching either!! just a sad git who's had a fair bit to do with engines over the years - personally, give me a pair of 45 DCOE's and some tuned trumpets....

Good luck !

Larry

- a boring signature, but at least this mail is bug free

Reply to
Larry Shaw

You don't mention what car you have. I would be totally happy with a 1 MPG increase, since that would be almost 7% increase for my QX4.

Reply to
ppointer

Unless you're planning on running at red line, the paper filter is fine.

Reply to
JimV

"lpage" wrote: > Ok should i buy a k/n air filter or stick with the 7.99 fram > air filters. > > I hear alot of + and - on k/n > > a tv show on hot rods did a test and the k/n on increased hp > an average of 1 hp and only increased the mpg 1-2 miles per > gallon. > > would like to hear from all sides.. j

I have used K&N filters for years and love them, I just hate cleaning them (good thing I don?t have to do it very often). I have purchased them for every car I have owned.

K&N filters do a much better job of actually filtering the particulates (dirt, dust, etc.) out of the incoming air than paper filter media. I have replaced paper filters that plainly let through the small stuff as you can see a then later of dust on the outer most opening of the throttle body. I have never seen such dusting on engines that use K&N filters.

I have rebuilt multiple motors/cars and have done a fair amount of reading and automotive related schooling and some where along the way I heard/read that most engines can withstand about one cup of dirt through them (via the air intake) before the rings are shot. So the longer it takes one cup of dirt/dust to go through an engine the better.

For what it?s worth... Loren

Reply to
NissanOwner

Jesus Chri*t !!

I wish I had a dollar for every time this subject was debated on the newsgroup

Just remember 1 thing

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is !

Air filters do not increase horsepower, they tear up air flow meters

Reply to
NissTech

Exactly.

And BTW I'm no fan of Fram filters either. I can never understand why people risk ruining a $500 MAS by saving >$4 on a air filter..

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
john smith

So you've dyno tested it with and without?

Again you have tested this how?

If an hour of your time is worth less than $7.

Like how long? $7 every 15-30,000 saved if you decide your time is worthless. So at 120,000 you break even after spending half a day cleaning filters? No thanx...

Wonder why they say this?? Might be because they can kill a MAS?

Reply to
Steve T

It's never the change of filter that causes a change in power. It's removal of the restrictive inlet snorkel and air box that gives more power (and noise). Just take the air box lid off and cable tie the filter on. Cost's a few cents - won't win you any bling points at the car park. Just like the K&N it gets your engine plenty of warm air, vapourizes more fuel giving better gas mileage - also gives greater likely hood of hot day high load detonation.

The Nissan forums are full of people "I've got idle problems" "I've got a hesitation". "I've got a cone air filter"

Reply to
Peter Hill

Reply to
arkcal

Nope, I don't use them. I have seen a BUNCH of dead MAS's that were using K&N's and other aftermarket filters. I've NEVER seen a dead one on a car that regularly used factory filters.

And you'd expect K&N to say what?

Again you expect them to say there might be a problem with our product? Or "Our product is a waste of money for most people"?

Reply to
Steve T

warm air =more power? actually colder denser air makes more power and better gas mileage, stock air filters and air duct could be restrictive to a built up motor or someone who runs redline all the time. I don't think a better flowing air filter has been over looked by all the car make engineers for all these years on even the most expensive cars. I work at a shop and we have never had a aftermarket air filter destroy a mass air flow sensor, I did have one that was over oiled and it made dirt stick to the sensor but for a little over a hundred dollars it was trouble shot and cleaned and sent on their way. Spending you money on oil changes and tune ups in my opinion will get you better results

Reply to
coryrhonda

wrong, "warm"air and COLD fuel make more power

Reply to
Shawn

Sorry that isn't how it works. Colder air is more dense and ALWAYS makes more power unless the tuning is off. Don't believe this, ask yourself why they intercool turbo cars..

Reply to
Steve T

Boy looking at all the replies here was an absolute hoot!

There sure is some funny physics going on in the Nissan world. (-:

I've been using K&N filters since the early 80's and NEVER EVER had a problem with them. My brother did have a mounting issue with a motorcycle set of filters.

I think they are well worth the money.

The rest of you can continue with your funny arguments.

-Pete

lpage wrote:

Reply to
speedy

As was reading your reply.

Yea they decided to leave 20HP on the table because they didn't want to spend $20 on a better AF, so they created variable valve timing instead...

And I'm sure you can FEEL the power! :-)

Reply to
Steve T

Steve, What you are saying is that you have no factual or technical basis for your statements, only a guess based on no testing. I would expect that someone with such strong optinion about K&N filters destroying a MAS could point to a technical bulletin or some sort of official statement or test results from a manufacturer somewhere. Everyone can have their opinions, however, that is all they are unless there is something to back it up. K&N has made an official statement that they have not tested a MAS that failed due to a K&N filter. Has any auto manufacturer officially stated that they do? If so I haven't seen it.

Reply to
arkcal

Only from experience working 40 hours a week on these and you have how much experience with how many different samples?

Ford already says it's a problem, probably because of all the 5.0 mustang guys believing the K&N hype.

And split fire claims their plugs make a bunch of power.. Again what do you expect K&N to say? "Don't buy our filters as they can cause problems"???

Reply to
Steve T

No but I can feel a few dollars left in my wallet from not buying all those paper filters!

(-:

-P

Reply to
speedy