Mexico plant???

I'm about to buy a 2001 Sentra that was made at the Mexico plant. Anybody hear anything good/bad about this plant?

Thanks.

Reply to
Code Monkee

"Code Monkee" wrote in news:Gh%gb.850$3A6.45 @twister.austin.rr.com:

I buy nothing from Mexico Nothing. I was at the dealer to buy a Volkswagon Golf but walked out when I saw that it was made in Mexico

Reply to
Ski

Why, buy American?

Reply to
Code Monkee

The problem with buying cars made in Mexico is you're supporting the wholesale transfer of jobs from the US. It doesn't matter if the car has a foreign or domestic nameplate, or if it's built in Germany, Japan, or Canada, DON'T buy Mexican-built cars.

Ford is adding 2000 jobs to its plant in Hermisillo, Mexico for two new lines of cars. Imagine if they added those jobs to the US instead, that is

2000 people who pump that money back into the US economy by buying houses, local services, and local businesses. Instead Ford is shuttering 3-4 US plants which at a conservative estimate will result in 10,000 people on the street. Which sucks for you personally because that is less people who will be able to afford the goods and services YOUR company offers. So to make up for lost sales, YOUR company will outsource to countries like Mexico where wages are much cheaper. The problem is that you're now out of a job and can't afford your new Mexican-built car anyway.

I'm obviously generalizing for brevity, but this phenomenon is very real and is happening as I type this. If you want a Nissan, they offer several makes that are built in the US (the Altima is much more car than the Sentra and really not that much more expensive new). Or buy a Toyota Corolla, which is built in California. I personally think the Ford Focus is a much better car than the Sentra - it has a bad quality rep from it's launch, but that was 4 years ago and it's a fine car now (a friend has had one for 3 years, no problems whatsoever). Good luck, and have fun car shopping, just please don't buy a Mexican-made car.

Reply to
Rich

I like mexican plants. Especially the blue agave plant!

Is it happy hour yet?

Kai

Reply to
Kai Ponte

But come on, can you blame Ford for it? They have an inferior product in the first place trying to compete with higher quality/better looking foreign brands at nearly the same prices. They get shafted for hiring crappy desingers and then they get shafted by paying too much for US workers to put them together in a crappy fashion (ie. Honda plant in US). So you either have mexicans coming across the border to work here...or you have mexicans staying in mexico to build there. Either way, they're gonna be crappy cars - Ford just got smart and decided to keep labor costs down.

Reply to
John

Is any of this relevant for a used car, which is now already a part of the US economy?

Reply to
Code Monkee

Sure is - the used market is same as the new, the effect just isn't as immediate or obvious. First, you buy a used domestic car, have good luck with it, you're more likely to buy one next time. Same goes if you buy that Sentra. Second, by buying a "made in Mexico" car, you're perpetuating demand for those cars, thereby helping to make them more valuable in the used market, and more desirable to people who buy new.

I could go on and on, but you can see my point. Going strictly by reliability, go to the Sentra boards at

and see what Sentra drivers have to say. I test drove a Sentra a few years ago, and it was an ok car, but IMHO you'd be better off with a "few years older" Altima. My mom had a 96 and that thing ran forever, until my sister's husband hit a deer with close to 200k on the clock. She was heartbroken, both my sister and mother, my mom because she loved the car, and sis who now is driving around a 20 year old Oldsmobile. :)

Reply to
Rich

Does it really matter where the plants are? America is all about being a business now more than producing anything. Upper class business men choose where to invest their time and materials so that they may make the most return. Obviously, producing anything in America is more expensive than in Mexico or China, so they outsource it and get a nice cut of the profit. All the money in America is in administrative jobs and business jobs now, so if you really want the money coming back to America, buy a Ford/GM or one of their subsidiaries. If you buy a Nissan, the money will mostly go back to Japan. Thats just the way it is

Reply to
Erock

In message , Rich writes

That's right, buy a good British made Nissan, and help our lads in Sunderland.

Reply to
Clive

This same logic would apply to vehicles manufactured in Canada, wouldn't it? How many "U.S." cars and trucks are actually built in Canada, thus taking jobs away from "real" Americans?

Reply to
Harry Balls

Canada is a different animal; unlike Mexico, we're not running a giant trade deficit with them. I also don't have a problem with them because while I see Mexico as being a leech, we have a very symbiotic relationship with the Canadians. They're one of our true allies in the world, and a country we could learn something from. They use their taxes to support their own people, we waste ours on defense and worldwide welfare.

Reply to
Rich

You would appear to be wrong. Canada's trade deficit with the US appears to be more than the US with Mexico.

Your last sentance indicates a beef with the way US spends money verses Canada. Has little to do with trade deficits.

Reply to
Zorg

Yeah, I saw how much they supported the US and even the UK lately. I guess you could say they support us almost as much as France does. A true ally doesn't let you do everything for them and then stab you in the back at the first opportunity. At least we always knew we couldn't count on the Mexicans in a pinch, but the way the canucks turned on us was a new low for them.

They use their taxes to support their own

You're right, we probably shouldn't be wasting our money trying to make things better for the rest of the world. The French, Germans, Koreans, Italians, Somalis, Iraqis, and Afghans surely don't have any use for freedom. Let's just close our borders to outsiders and as long as things are good for us, piss on the rest of the world.

Reply to
Harry Balls

Huh? Canada is a different country? When did that happen?

Reply to
Kai Ponte

While I can understand you're problems with what you describe, I'm afraid you can't avoid it. Virtually everything is, or has the ability, of being outsourced. No doubt the computer that you type on was manufactuered in some other country where labour is cheaper than North American equivalents.

Welcome to the global economy.

Reply to
tendim

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeease! That one of the biggest load's of crap I have heard this week. Look, just because we do not support war does not mean we are not friends with the American's. I for one was against the war. I still am, 'nuff said. I believe there are better ways than going at an issue than seeing who has the biggest guns and the most firepower; unless Bush is trying to compensate for another area he is lacking.

And it's not as if the American's are as supportive anyways. During the ONE case of mad cow, the American's banned *ALL* Canadian beef, virtually crippling the industry. You didn't see the Canadians banning American's from coming on Canadian soil when they wanted to go to war, did you? No, I didn't think so.

Good luck. The US outsources so much labour to do so would bring your own economy down as the industries have to pay more people to do work they can do cheaper elsewhere, and jack prices up on products to make up for the added cost to labour.

-10d

Reply to
tendim

What was the previous low?