Mice in my Carb -- Help

I have a 91 Nissan pickup. It has been sitting for a year. I went to start it up, and it was running badly if at all. I took off the air filter and to my surprise, there were baby mice right in the now chewed up air filter. I cleaned up and starting using a lot of carb cleaner on it and it slowly started running better.

Better to a point... It idles fine now but when I step on the gas ( say mid way) it starts surging. (rpms increases and decreases)

The pickup has ran exceptional since I first bought it new. It now has

140000 miles and does not burn or leak any oil. Never had any problems with it , essecially a fuel problem.

My question is: am I going to have to take the carb apart to resolve this. Could the fuel injectors be clogged up also. I probably got mouse turds, nesting and air filter material in the carb and maybe elsewhere.

I hate mices to pieces!!!!!

Thanks for any help -- this is my very first posting in any newsgroup.

Reply to
FreeBird

Uh I don't think you can have a bad carb -and- clogged injectors on the same truck.

Reply to
Steve T

Freebird,

Prior to parking your pickup did you put some sort of fuel additive into your gas tank to keep the fuel from going bad?? Or did you drain your gas tank of the old fuel & pour new fuel into the tank before you restarted it??

The surging could be due to bad fuel. Automotive fuel over a period of weeks tends to break down and form gum & varnish in your carburator & fuel lines. Always best to take a few storage tips to hand prior to not using a vehicle:

If your fuel hasn't gone bad, or has been replaced with new fuel, then check your rubber vacuum lines leading to your EGR system. Also check your oxygen sensor & the wires leading to it. Mice in an engine bay is not good....they like to gnaw on stuff. Maybe they chewed on one of your vacuum lines or wires. Doesn't hurt to check.

Anyhow, if you are still running your old fuel, best bet is try to drain the tank somehow...a siphon usually helps...

Once you siphon the old gas out, pour in the new gas along with a can of fuel injector/carburator cleaner. The FI/Carb cleaner will help remove the carbon & varnish buildup in your carburator along with any moisture in the fuel tank & lines & help your engine run smoother. If you haven't already done so, you might also want to change your fuel filter while you are at it.

Anyhow, hope this helps... Good luck!!

ID

FreeBird wrote:

Reply to
Idlafie

Probably has nothing to do with mice. There isn't anywhere for them to go besides in the air filter.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Maybe not if they chewed through the air filter. I've been amazed at what mice will chew through. 1/4" plastic in one case. Drywall in another.

Note for the original poster: either you have a carb, or fuel injectors, but not both.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet