Micra '06

I've been reading lots of horror stories about poor quality build of the new Micra.

Many people have reported problems, particularly with the timing belt after a few years. Others have mentioned the need for constant repair, and I'm quite shocked as the old Micra had a reputation for very high quality and very rarely having problems.

Have these problems been fixed in the later models, made after 05- 06, or are these cars poorly built.

Thanks

Reply to
t8769

It's basically a clio platform with french electrics....says it all really. If you forget about the stupid keyless ignition you'll probably be ok - 99% of the problems are due to that. Mines been fine, better than a Ford anyway....

petrol engine has a timing chain, shouldn't be a problem with regular oil changes....

Reply to
mike

Well I was shocked.

The old Micra was a tank disguised as a car. The thing was incredibly well built, and had a reputation for reliability and quality build that few other cars had. One friend has an 18 year old Micra in great condition, another had a 12 year old Micra which didn't have a thing wrong with it.

The new Micra is, as you say, a French car with a Japanese Nissan sticker on the front. Its not well built, its not well designed, its not solid and its not a patch on the old Mirca. Some design faults are really bad. Its pretty cheap, cheap plastic, cheaply put together, cheaply designed. It feels and drives like a common French car, and those aren't known for reliability or quality build.

I was hoping to buy a quality Japanese car that I could keep for 10 years or longer, but I got a shoddy French car that I'll have to sell after 5 years.

In my experience French cars are not something you want to have around after 60,000 as they tend to fall apart. A good Japanese car can be driven for 120,000 before it starts having serious problems, and sometimes not even then. A friend's Micra has done over 150,000.

The Micra became a hit on its reputation for quality and reliability, i.e. it sold on word of mouth. But if its just another shoddy French car, I don't think Nissan will be able to fool people for much longer, and will perhaps go the way of Rover. You can only fool people for a limited time, and people talk.

Today I found that the car doors have soft foam on the interior, so when I put a box in the front it dented it, and now is permanently damaged. This is appallingly bad design, I just can't believe that a quality car like the old Micra is now being made cheaply and badly. Oh well....all good things come to an end.

Reply to
t8769