Murano Navigation System Is Really Annoying

When I get in my Murano and fire it up I am confronted with a legal disclaimer on my screen everytime I start the car. If I dont acknowledge this dumb message my navigation system will not work. The message was cute the first couple of times I got in the car but now it's really beginning to piss me off. Does anyone know how to permanently bypass this screen. Is there a service DVD I could use to modify the start-up parameters?

Thanks Dan

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
generatorlabs

If you find one, post it. I suspect everyone who has one of these will want to hack in the change.

My Pathf> When I get in my Murano and fire it up I am confronted with a legal

Reply to
E. Meyer

Not a good idea to be messing with the nav while you're driving. Nissan isn't considering that you just might have a passenger that wan't to make changes for the drive. Kind of anal retentive thinking.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Absolute, unmitigated, BS. The same argument applies to the A/C controls, the radio, the CD player, the phone, etc. Yes, in an ideal world, everyone would pull off the road and stop before touch anything other than the steering wheel, but why is the nav system the only thing that big brother has succeeded in locking us out of? And at that, only Nissan's nav.

I have been using the Acura nav since 2000 and it does not have that asinine restriction. I can't count the number of times it has been used to plot a path on the fly after being forced off-route by accidents or other emergencies. The system will automatically plot alternate routes if it was already in use, but if it wasn't, the Acura allows a destination to be entered on the fly and Nissan doesn't. Many times it is not possible to pull off the road to do it in the utopianesque world envisioned by Nissan.

Yes, if you need to program something complicated, the wife sitting in the passenger seat is really handy for punching it in.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Hey don't jump on me. I was giving you Nissan's argument, not mine. I couldn't care less what you do while you drive. You can get a shave and haircut while you drive for all i care.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Well, I sure wouldn't want him doing that near me! ;-)

John D.

Reply to
John D.

Just food for thought.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Reply to
generatorlabs

I have a Garmen GPS III Plus that I use from time to time. I can do without any navigation system. To me they're just a toy.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I've used Delorme's Street Atlas with their Earthmate GPS receiver and my laptop for several years while traveling, and it works great. The down-side is that it's cumbersome having the laptop in your 'lap' and you have to deal with it when making stops. The power and GPS cords also get in the way. Not awful, but certainly not as elegant as a built-in system.

I bought a 2004 Maxima 4 days ago, with the Nissan GPS system, and love it. The voice directions are far superior to what my laptop had to offer - no comparison. So far routing has been quite accurate (although it seems to have problems with locations right around my house).

I am frustrated by the inability to over-ride the system's safety precautions - as my wife is usually functioning in the passenger seat as the navigator. They really should allow the option to do this - they could even connect it to weight in the passenger seat. But despite this limitation, I'm glad I spent the extra money to get it.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Don Cohen

snipped-for-privacy@x-an> >>>>

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Reply to
KINGLIFER

I agree. Buy a map for $3. Buy a street atlas if you need that much detail. Guess what - there's no legal disclaimer message to pass by.

Spending $1K+ on a NAV system that you really only _need_ once in a blue moon just shows that the auto manufacturers are much smarter than you (at holding on to _your_ money).

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Disagree.

I use this thing more than I thought I would. I have on more than one occasion used it to find gas stations while driving on fumes. I use it to find banks and shopping centers in unfamiliar areas. But best of all I love the fact that at night when driving down pitch black roads with some a-hole behind me who knows the roads like the back of his hand I can be rest assured that I dont have to drive like granny searching for street signs that are as big as a postage stamp.

No I dont use it everyday but when I do it is worth it. Besides if you know how to deal when purchasing your car the nav could cost you almost nothing. I am surprised at how much people pay above invoice for cars. Hello! MSRP means exactly what it says, Manufacturers SUGGESTED selling price. Me and a person at my job got the same car. Mine has leather and NAV and his don't. Would you believe he paid nearly the same for his car as I did mine. Wake up folks. I bought my car below invoice and not because I know somebody in the business. Dont get mad at Nissan for adding nav for $1000.00. Would a laptop and mapping software cost any less and look built in. No. Dont get mad at Nissan, get mad at the auto dealers who prey on you like wolves.

Anyone in the NY Metro area who needs a good price on a Murano or any Nissan for that matter should drop me a line.

'nuther Bob wrote:

Reply to
generatorlabs

good point. I have custom leather and nav in my Z... no probs... so I don't know what's up wit dez peeps.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

How much did you pay for your Murano?

Reply to