Murano Steering Problem

Hi...hope I am nor asking a question that has been answered before, but a search did not come up with anything. I was considering a purcahse of a Nissan Murano. However in a recent Consumer Reports New Car Preview 2004 thay mention a 'steering problem' in the Murano but are very vague and don't deliniate it. They give it a great review and then suddenly end saying that they do not recommend the vehicle because of the 'steering problem'. However, a Google search has not helped me to figure out what this problem is or how serious/significant/frequent it is.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Howard

Reply to
Howard

Saw the steering problem mentioned on Edmunds.com townhall

also in Consumer reports and Car & driver, Basically you run out ofassist in low speed maneuvers.

Reply to
Rob F

Thanks for the link..that is very helpful. Do you think this is significant enough to 'not recommend' it as Consumer Reports said? Howard

Reply to
HMSDOC

I've had my Murano for over 9 months and driven over 24,000 miles without experiencing any steering problem at all. Very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone.

Brian

HMSDOC wrote:

Reply to
Brian Pratt

I have not noticed said "problem". If you crank the whell lock to lock while sitting still it can be hard now that it is mentioned, but my other car is a high performance Mustang, so I never noticed it. There are only about 3 others where I live and 2 are young girls, apparently they aren't very worried about it.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I have nearly 40K on my 2003 and have never noticed any problems with the steering. In fact, I've had no problems at all, just like my other 12 Nissan's.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Really, I have a Murano--8 months old and 18,000 miles. I travel for work in this, and have had absolutely no problems, except perhaps that I've become a hit and run magnet of late.

Anyway, I can't figure out exactly what the issue is, so I guess I'll have to go to the link to Edmunds and read in the Town Hall forum.

I love this car.

-- snugglebullie

's Profile:
29View this thread:

snugglebullie

I have a Sentra, and I've experienced the problem that's described for the Murano. The power steering doesn't have enough power for all situations. For example, imagine a low speed slalom course, like a tight parking situation. You're cranking the steering wheel as fast as you can. Suddenly the wheel seems to 'freeze' or revert to manual steering. I've learned to slow down in these situations or to give extra room and be ready to apply 'armstrong steering'. It only happens at slow speeds and in predictable situations (cranking the steering wheel fast)-- I'm not gonna worry about it.

Pete

Never seen it. If it doesn't present its self to me at a Solo 2 event then I'll have to assume it doesn't exist. :-D

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]