Murano Wipers Stop Working During Limited Icing

As a potentially dangerous issue, the wipers on my 2006 Mrano stopped working during limited icing. By this I mean they could not fully retract into the wells and there were chunks of ice on the arms, but they were moving (not stuck) when they stopped. The next morning they were OK. I assume some sort of thermal overload? I need a *very complete* explanation on how to prevent this in the future, and what happened to begin with. The precip lightened up and I was able to get home but just barely. (It was dark.) If thermal overload, why did it take until the next morning to reset????? And what could I have done at the time (if anything) to facilitate the resetting?? (I did get out and clear all the ice to no avail. Also shut the car down and restarted.) Help much appreciated. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Yes, the motor has a thermal overload switch that resets when it cools down. All you can do is keep the wipers and their path clean so it doesn't overload.

Reply to
JimV

But 45 minutes later in 25 degree weather they still didnt work. Surely the motor would have cooled below the tripping temp in half that time! I wonder if I don't have an unusually sensitive temp sensor. In all my years of driving, some surely under the same conditions, I have never had that happen, and no one else I have spoken with has either. I'm not arguing with you, just upset that Nissan wouldn't know enough to put some sort of a slip mechanism in its wipers, or use a bigger motor. Mind you this was not a situation in which the major path of the wipers was obstructed.

Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:19:58 -0400, JimV wrote:

Reply to
frank1492