Murano woes

I've got a 2003 Murano (51K) that is a pretty good car with a few exceptions. I am wondering if any others share my gripes.

  1. Blind spots. This car seems to have some wicked blind spots. The area to the right rear of the car is especially troubling. The rear roof piller coupled with the rear seat head makes lane changes to the right kinda iffy in heavy traffic. It's not that one can't see, it's that one has to really look. There so much in the field of view that's distracting.

  1. Rattles from the front suspension. Almost from day one I've had a rattle in the front suspension that sounds as if a strut mount bushing is worn or loose or something. Techies come back with bupkis every time they look. have any of you experienced this noise?

  2. Rough starting and idle on cold mornings after a long period of unuse. If I let my car sit for three or four days and then go out to start it, I get a sound like dry lifters for maybe 5 seconds and then I get a rough idle with a very rich gas smell. Grnated, the engine is cold so it needs to be slightly richer but this smells like cars did back in the old pre-injection days. The roughness and the smell fade as the car warms.

  1. Drivers electric seat seems to have lots of fore and aft play, maybe

1/4".

So, have any of you had any of these problems?

Reply to
Reece Talley

The only chronic problem I've noticed with our '05 Murano (31K miles) is with rattles in the front dash behind the radio somewhere.

I suppose we've learned to deal with the blind spots which, I agree, are definitely noticeable. However, I think we knew what we were dealing with before we bought it.

I haven't noticed any play in the electric seats...I'll have to check that, though.

Reply to
MacMike

My Murano (03) is sitting in the garage with 117K, so safe to say it's had some "over the road" experience. Regarding your questions and comments:

  1. Once you're comfortable using the concave mirror on the passenger side, the blind spots will no longer be an issue. If the mirror is adjusted correctly, the ONLY blind spot will be to your immediate right, which can easily be viewed through the passenger or rear seat passenger window. However, not being used to using mirrors can highlight the undeniable blind spots in the design of the cabin.
  2. I had to replace my front struts which were totally shot at around 60K, however until the final stages of failure, I did not have any noticable noises.
  3. I've owned 13 Nissan's, and ALL of them did this in cold weather (especially) after sitting a few days. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I logged over 100K on all of mine, and never had a engine issue of any type.
  4. More recently I have noticed the driver seat making a metal against metal noise when I jostle the seat such as over bumps and rough road. But I can't say I can actually feel it move - it's more of an audible thing.

The only issues I've had with mine are as follows:

  1. Front struts
  2. Driver Power Window Track... had to replace everything including the motor.
  3. Heavy rust on some components - to the extent the screws in the rear license plate holder cannot be removed.
  4. Recently developed a minor leak in the rear seal. Labor will be 00.00 and cost of parts around . I'm not planning to make this repair unless it worsens. Right now it's averages about 1 quart low when I'm ready for an oil change, so that's no more than most cars burn.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Reply to
kkotzin

Watch out for that fore and aft movement and the metal on metal squeking.

I experienced the same issues on my '04 (38,000 miles). Then, this is past weekend, the driver side seat frame broke (I think). I have the seat shimmed up with a couple of bricks! Just great for a $30K + vehicle.

The dealer can't get me in to look/confirm until Thursday. I'll let you know what they find...

Willy wrote:

Reply to
kkotzin

Sadly, the a only other car I ever had a seat break on was an 81 Ford Escort and that didn't happen until 105K miles.

Reply to
Reece Talley