My Pathfinder drives like crap after the timing belt was changed

A garage just changed the timing belt and water pump on my 98 Pathfinder SE and now it drives like crap!

From a stop, there is a delay when I push on the gas pedal before

acceleration starts. When moving, acceleration requires the gas pedal to be pushed much further than before. Again, there is a delay and then the transmission frequently downshifts seemingly two gears causing a big spike in RPMs. The vehicle also struggles to maintain highway speeds without downshifting unless I am heading downhill. Lastly, when it is accelerating I have to keep the gas pedal floored to keep the transmission from downshifting prematurely. Besides ruining driving pleasure, looking like a "boy-racer", and the stress on my transmission this is obviously affecting my gas mileage. I am down to 13.5mpg highway (from 15.5-16.6 prior).

The garage is going to take another look at it. PLEASE pass along any advice/ammo to help me get this fixed right and quickly.

Thanks

Reply to
agirard71

They probably didn't use a dealer T-belt which has marks on it. The aftermarket ones are unmarked and the marks on the engine cover are confusing, it's REAL easy to get the belt off 1 tooth on the passenger side camshaft going by the marks on the engine covers and they run exactly like you describe.

Reply to
Steve T

FYI: You were dead-on right. The garage did use an aftermarket belt and got it off a few teeth. This mechanic said the engine cover didn't have any markings and these particular belts did, but the marks weren't accurate. Either way, he ordered a factory belt and is re-doing it now. Thanks again.

Steve T wrote:

Reply to
agirard71

That's what I figured. The covers DO have marks but they are vague and often not easy to figure out which way to time the passenger side cam. It's like halfway between teeth and you have to know which way to be "off" the mark.

That will fix it, glad he's honest and is taking care of the problem!

Reply to
Steve T