Need A Good Shop Manual For 97 XE Pickup

So far I've not located where to find a "real" Shop Manual for my '97 Nissan XE pickup - and I'm *really* beginning to need one quite a bit. Although I get lots of good advice from this News Group - it would be better if I could just read a *good* Shop Manual. (Then I could ask the people on this N.G. about only the things which are pretty hard to understand).

If anyone knows WHERE I can get a *good* Shop Manual for a '97 Nissan XE truck, I sure need to learn about this! I have the small manual by Haynes for this truck which helps a lot - but there are things it doesn't tell about.

Reply to
Ruth Cory

Manuals come in three types: a) Owner's - comes with new vehicle or from previous owner if he didnt lose it! b) Service (shop) manuals from manufacturer, in this case Nissan. SOmetimes similar info is produced by a third-party licensed by manufacurer or not licenesed at all - someone just makes up a CD. book, etc. designed to replicate manufactyuer's book. c) Repair manuals from well known publisher's like Haynes, CHilton, these sometimes lag in time, i.e. there's nothing for my new 2004 Sentra and all they offer is pre-2000 Sentra's from Haynes

My solution was: a) I have Owner's manual came with a new car, obiosuly; but also: b) MULTIPLE service/shop manuals from Ebay, multiple because no one was complete and a few were lying (generic "car repair" disk, nothign specific on sentras) but they were so cheap I dont complain ($12-20). So do this:

  1. Search Ebay. Sometimes supercheap ( or less) CD's are a hoax good for any generic car but not your specific model and not deep, just basic crap extracted from websites, books, etc. However my manuals from Ebay were 100% OK.
  2. Search Haynes
  3. Search Chilton
  4. Check manufacturer's website, perhaps call. In my case Nissan explicitly SPELLED OUT HOW TO GET Service (shop) manual in the back of User's manual (guide), i went there and found cost 0's, so not acceptable for a single person like me (OK only for a large shop or someone rich), so got from Ebay instead (not Nissan's official, but similar).
  5. Check helminc.com
  6. Check
    Some (not all) manuals there. ALl about Nissan's manuals, parts, etc

Finally:

  1. Search Web via Google, will return lots of false "hits" and time-consuming - the last resort however this is how I did find all about Chilton's, Haynes and helminc.com when I was a car moron seeveral years ago, helminc still in business and I got owner's manuals from them, buit no shop - shop was overpriced agagin.
Reply to
Marco Licetti

I bought a Chilton manual that's not too bad.

Reply to
Lumbrjack