Need a motor, whats a 240SX SOHC worth used

Well after a lot of tinkering around and finally getting my sons car running what I thought was decent, and other than having a timing chain noise it seems like he has managed to blow it up somehow. He siad it s knocking really bad, and blew a heater hose off. Strange, the 5 days I played with it the temp never got over midway, and it did not smoke or make any noise other than timing chain. The coolant sensor fixed the poor fuel consumption and rich running and hard starting, and I figured it was running fine. I have to say he is not known to be a hot rodder, and just needs basic transportation to and from work, as its his lifes blood so to speak, but is it possible this engine just decided to give up the ghost without being abused.

Motor had 131,000 on it, 1990 240SX, 12 valve SOHC, 5spd manual. Whats a good price on a used motor? Is there any other years or sizes that will interchange? Are they worth rebuilding? Expense? No decent automotive machine shops exist around here, and used Ja[p parts are hard to come by. Located in central Alabama

Is it possible that the chain just jumped timing, as he says it will start, but won't run over 30 and its knocking pretty bad. Won;'t get to actually see it or see what could be wrong until next week so he is basically back to wearing his sneakers out again.

Thanks for any info

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

Have you considered taking the head off and seeing if there is a problem? If there is no problem in that side (top of cylinders/valves), perhaps you have a bad rod; the sooner you replace it (some engines may let you do that without major tearing apart besides becoming headless and taking oil pan off), the greater the chances the engine will be happy after that.

It all depends on where you look for them. In the local U-pull I can get and engine for under $200. There are places online that sell used engines, but they can go from $400 to $2K depending on condition and origin (EX: a JDM engine would cost more if it is one of the hot ones). Whether they are worth rebuilding, it really depends on you. The 240sx has a lot of potential (as in making it a hot rod) if you want to put money on it. For different cars I went both ways for different reasons. You may want to check out the mk2 yahoo group. Yes, it cater for Mk2 Supras but the blokes there seem to know any junkyard worth mentioning and could probably recommend you a shop close to you.

Incidentally, there is a 240sx in the local yard, but that would be in FL.

The longer you let it do it the worse the engine will be.

Reply to
Mauricio