NEED HELP FAST! Sudden drop in MPG

Hi- I have a 1.6L 98 Sentra SE. In late October, I had the vent control valve (in neck of gas tank), crank case seal and drive belts replaced. Right after, my MPG jumped by about 2MPG (My average is 34-ish). Suddenly, I'm using much more gas and am down to 20mpg, within my last two tanks of gas. I'm worried that it had something to do with that vent control valve replacement except both garages I've talked to says no way. Does anyone know anything about this? I have to drive from DC to NY for New Year's and am fearful of what might happen. Thanks in advance- ~crystal

Reply to
Crystal

Don't rule out the newly released `winter gas' (sorry the technical term escapes me) hitting a pump near you. Although I wouldn't think it would reduce your mileage that much, it stinks to high heaven and causes more than a few MPG drops sometimes. It's already been released here in PA and I think in MD. And my mileage has already taken almost a 3 MPG hit.

Rant session to follow, you have been warned. LOL

Ok it's a special mix to reduce pollution? But it causes you to burn more fuel in the process... Ok did I miss something there or is the D.O.T. the one on crack? Just curious... ...fighting pollution by mixing up foul smelling fuel that causes a reduction in mileage, thereby making you buy/burn more to get the same distance... MMm.... EPA hard at work? ;-) Must be those college grads `cause us blue collars just don't think that gewd'. That explains why they make more $$$.

Wil

Reply to
Truck