Need Help: Sentra dashboard instuments problem

Hello,

I have a 2000 Nissan Sentra. More and more often, either on a very hot day, sitting in the sun, or on a cooler day, when the engine has been running for a while, the 4 round dashboard instrument guages, which include the odometer, the speedometer, the tachometer, fuel guage and temperature guage, just suddenly die. The odometer goes blank (it's an LCD, I believe), the speedometer and tachometer needles go down to zero, the temperature needle remains where ever it was, and the fuel guage stays where ever it was. When it dies, it may start up by just stopping the engine and restarting, or after stopped a short time driving it may start working. I have brought it to the Nissan dealership more than once but the problem has disappeared by the time I get there. The Nissan attendant told me that they have to see the problem, which I understand.

When this is happening, the other instruments are still working fine. The lights and turn signals are fine, as are the other instruments which have light (LEDs or lights).

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Linwood

Reply to
Linwood

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It took the dealership more than a year to learn I needed the Meter Control Unit replaced. They called me aliar for a while. Then last month, they finally had recalls for "the engine dying while driving." I thought that was the resolution to my problem. did they ever care about me or anyone else almost dying any of these times? Of course not! It's been an extremely frustrating process. Since the check engine light doesn't come on when this happens, they are "unable" to determine and correct the problem even if it has happened with them in the vehicle. Try and get a rental car while they keep your car for 30 days...they'll give you hell and then no car. Under the lemon law, if the dealership is unable to determine the problem, after three repair attempts, you can sue them. They will tell you otherwise however. My advice, take the car in a few more times and have it documented, then contact an attorney. anyway, that's the diagnosis. P.S. My vehicle has had its brain replaced twice in the past year (I have a 2001 with 50,000 miles) as well as 1 recall on the brain (amongst the other fifteen things that have gone out, an air conditioner that still doesn;t blow cold air and a cd player that works hen it wants to). It's the brain - a bad brain kills all. I bought a lemon and at less than 36,000 miles, it showed my just what a lemon I bought. Goodluck.

Reply to
unhappy