NEW Frontier pruchase

This may be old news to some but please humor me if you can. I am considering the new frontier with a 6 speed manual tranny, possibly the nismo package but if the SE is optioned right. . who knows? I regret trading my 94 pathfinder and wondered if the durability of the frontier is as good as the older Nissan"s. Any troubles I need to watch for? T I A Mark

Reply to
M. Moody

You'll be extremely happy with the new Frontier. I would examine if you really need the NISMo package or if you're wanting it because of the badging (stickers). As for your question regarding "any troubles to watch for", rest easy because it's a great truck. Right now there are great incentives to take advantage of. Check out

NissanSalesRep

Reply to
NissanSalesRep

"M. Moody" wrote in message news:X2vDg.601091$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

I purchased a 2006 Frontier earlier this year. This was my first Japanese truck after years of experience with Fords. I didn't like the new F150s, and although we have had very positive experience with Rangers, I wanted something a little larger. I considered a the Tundra, the Tacoma, and the Frontier. I ruled out the Tundra as being a poor copy of an F150 (all the disadvantages of the F150, plus engines that rattles when cold, scuzzy dealers, and a higher price). I liked the Tacoma, but didn't care for the local dealer (their attitude was - "this is our price, you are lucky we will sell you our perfect truck at all") and the prices were all significantly higher than for a similarly equipped Frontier. The local Nissan dealer was very cooperative and the truck was equipped like I wanted for a reasonable price, so I decided to buy the Nissan. However, after six months, I am having buyers remorse in a big time way - the cab squeaks whenever you go over any sort of bump, it has been recalled twice, the fuel mileage is no better than my old F150, the seats are very uncomfortable on a long trip, and despite having a higher payload rating, it won't carry as much than my Father's 7 year old Ranger without bottoming out the springs. On the other hand, if you are interested in drag racing other pick-ups, it is fast (although the power band is all wrong for a work truck). The factory bed liner is nice. The truck looks nice. It has the worst oil filter location of any vehicle I have ever owned. The interior plastic attracts dirt. The rear seats are almost totally unusable (worse than the jump seats in my Dad's old Ranger - despite the truck being much larger). In general the underpinnings of the truck seem wimpy compared to Fords, (suspension parts and frame rails seem "small"). I have an automatic, and at least so far this has worked well. I do wish they had a column shift instead of the floor shift and a console. The console eats up a lot of space and restricts your leg movement. I really don't understand why everyone seems in love with huge consoles these days. Is it all because of cup holders and cell phones?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks! And I really mean that, No sarcasm intended. I am sorry that you seem to be having so much trouble with the truck but it is refreshing to get a dose of reality injected into the lust of car/truck purchasing. I still am considering the truck but now the real use of the truck will make more sense to me as I inspect it. This makes the Dakota look a little more reasonable but I don't like the sharp lines of the body work. (A personal preference thing). And if I am going to get this kind of mileage maybe even a one or two year old diesel may better serve me, for the price.

Mark

Reply to
M. Moody

M. Moody wrote:

I am now worried that I was too negative.

The recalls are not a huge deal - something to do with the gas cap, and new door latches. Mostly they are just irritating. This is not a completely new vehicle, so I would have thought these sort of things would have been sorted out in the first model year. The fact that the Frontier was a second year model was an advantage in my mind. I've had plenty of experiences with first year models from other manufacturers, and was looking forward to a more mature design. I guess I was expecting too much.

I left out some of the good stuff. The electronic limited slip works really well on mud. The bed height is perfect for my use. The size of the pick-up box is well matched to the load carrying capacity. The head lights are good. The controls are good. The brakes are good. I really like the tires that came on the truck. The 4x4 system works well. The truck is reasonably quiet on the highway. The tow hitch works well. I have not had any problems related to the drivetrain.

The oil filter location is a big pet peeve becasue I like to change my own oil. The cabin squeak is irritating, but I am hoping the dealer can fix it when I take the truck in to get the recall repairs done (this week). I am not sure what can be done about the seats. I am a big guy and the seat shape is poorly matched to my butt. They look great and feel great at first, but after an hour in the truck, my butt is sore. The seats look like something that should be in a 350Z, not a truck. I don't really understand the plastic. It has that soft touch sort of feel like some laptops, but apparently it has a soft touch for dust too. I had no problem wiping dust off the dash of my old Ford. For this Nissan, the dust just seems to cling like glue to some of the plastic (but not all of it - it is weird). The engine is very powerful, but very peaky. If you are willing to floor the accelerator, the truck will go like a scalded cat. However, I really preferred the low down grunt of the six cylinder in my old F150. If the Frontier got a lot better gas mileage, I'd be OK with the lack of low end torque, but the gas mileage is only a little better than my old F150. The F150 was over 700 lbs heavier and larger (more air resistance), yet got within a couple of mpg of the same mileage under similar conditions (15 vs 17). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the steering - the feel is good, but the truck is sensitive on the highway and it has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier. I could wheel the old F150 (a SWB model) into parking spaces with ease. I often find myself needing to have to back up to line the Frontier up with a parking space. However, I had this exact same complaint with the Tundra, the Tacoma, and the Colorado I test drove. I expect a large turning radii with LWB F250's, not with light duty trucks. My Expedition can easily turn inside the Frontier. I wish I had test driven a late model F150 for comparison purposes, but frankly, I hate the new F150s and wouldn't even consider them (although I could have bought one for less than the Frontier).

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I doubt you'll be able to buy a one or two year old diesel truck for as little as the real selling price of a new Frontier. Diesels are in high demand due to fuel cost and they are all on the heavier duty chassis.

The Fronty is a nice little truck, IMO. I have a Titan and love it and the

300+ HP engine. Of course all that HP burns fuel but I love the power.
Reply to
Butch Davis
2005 Frontier with 30k miles and nary a single problem. only gripe is gas tank cover doesn't latch too well. steel clip for a retaining latch seems to constantly "spring." otherwise, great truck.

Reply to
bcornel

I purchased my Nissan Frontier SE in May. I've been averaging 22mpg since I bought it. I have the two wheel drive version with the 6-speed manual six cylinder. It rides rough and the steering is very touchy. I would suggest you take an extended test drive in the truck over varying roads at different speeds. The truck has plenty of power. I do agree about the seats. They aren't the most comfortable especially for such a stiff riding vehicle. I will tolerate these minor annoyances until my wife's vehicle is paid for, then I will probably go back to a larger more refined riding truck. Gas mileage was an influence in my choice of this truck. But

shows that the 4WD version gets considerably less than the 2WD version, if that is what you're looking at. This is a very informative site about real world fuel economy. I'm pleased with the overall quality of the truck, it's just a little too rough riding for my taste. I wish I had taken a considerably longer test drive, especially on rough roads. I would have probably kept my 96 Silverado.

"M. Moody" wrote in message news:451Eg.247402$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... Thanks! And I really mean that, No sarcasm intended. I am sorry that you seem to be having so much trouble with the truck but it is refreshing to get a dose of reality injected into the lust of car/truck purchasing. I still am considering the truck but now the real use of the truck will make more sense to me as I inspect it. This makes the Dakota look a little more reasonable but I don't like the sharp lines of the body work. (A personal preference thing). And if I am going to get this kind of mileage maybe even a one or two year old diesel may better serve me, for the price.

Mark

"C. E. White" wrote in message news:44e070b6$1@kcnews01... | | "M. Moody" wrote in message | news:X2vDg.601091$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... | > This may be old news to some but please humor me if you can. I am | > considering the new frontier with a 6 speed manual tranny, possibly the | > nismo package but if the SE is optioned right. . who knows? I regret | > trading my 94 pathfinder and wondered if the durability of the frontier is | > as good as the older Nissan"s. Any troubles I need to watch for? | > T I A | > Mark | | I purchased a 2006 Frontier earlier this year. This was my first Japanese | truck after years of experience with Fords. I didn't like the new F150s, and | although we have had very positive experience with Rangers, I wanted | something a little larger. I considered a the Tundra, the Tacoma, and the | Frontier. I ruled out the Tundra as being a poor copy of an F150 (all the | disadvantages of the F150, plus engines that rattles when cold, scuzzy | dealers, and a higher price). I liked the Tacoma, but didn't care for the | local dealer (their attitude was - "this is our price, you are lucky we will | sell you our perfect truck at all") and the prices were all significantly | higher than for a similarly equipped Frontier. The local Nissan dealer was | very cooperative and the truck was equipped like I wanted for a reasonable | price, so I decided to buy the Nissan. However, after six months, I am | having buyers remorse in a big time way - the cab squeaks whenever you go | over any sort of bump, it has been recalled twice, the fuel mileage is no | better than my old F150, the seats are very uncomfortable on a long trip, | and despite having a higher payload rating, it won't carry as much than my | Father's 7 year old Ranger without bottoming out the springs. On the other | hand, if you are interested in drag racing other pick-ups, it is fast | (although the power band is all wrong for a work truck). The factory bed | liner is nice. The truck looks nice. It has the worst oil filter location of | any vehicle I have ever owned. The interior plastic attracts dirt. The rear | seats are almost totally unusable (worse than the jump seats in my Dad's old | Ranger - despite the truck being much larger). In general the underpinnings | of the truck seem wimpy compared to Fords, (suspension parts and frame rails | seem "small"). I have an automatic, and at least so far this has worked | well. I do wish they had a column shift instead of the floor shift and a | console. The console eats up a lot of space and restricts your leg movement. | I really don't understand why everyone seems in love with huge consoles | these days. Is it all because of cup holders and cell phones? | | Ed | | |

Reply to
~Poorboy~