New Nissan owner has a question - Saskatchewan Canada

Hello,

Just purchased a new Nissan Versa SL which should be delivered in about

10 days.

The question I have concerns what the salesperson added to the conversation after the deal was essentially clinched. He said: " By the way, I forgot to tell you that there is an extra $75.00 charge we add to all cars sold with alloy wheels, for the locking wheel nuts. We (the dealer) add these to all vehicles we sell with alloy wheels.. It's an automatic thing we do."

I said fine, as I did not know at the time what these would normally cost. I was in Canadian Tire yesterday and saw packages of 4 locking wheel nuts, and the required lugnut 'key' adapter, being sold for $29.95 before taxes.

Are what the Nissan dealer installs that much different than what I would purchase at an auto parts store, as to create this large a price differential?

I contacted the salesperson just before composing this message and enquired about the differences. He did not elaborate except to say that "it includes the labour cost to install them, and that they always install them on cars when they arrive with alloy wheels."

Would anyone care to provide me with some insights?

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Max

JimV

Courtesy Nissan sells the wheel locks for the Versa for $25.27.

Loading the cars with unnecessary/overpriced options is just one of those things that a lot of dealers do to jack up profits. You don't have to take it. Tell them you don't want the locks, you didn't ask for them and you won't pay it. The wheel thieves all have universal keys for those locks anyway. If they think it will kill the deal, they will leave them off or adjust the price.

Reply to
E Meyer

Do you have a high crime rate with cars and the stealing of wheels in your area? If so, this could be a deterrent and if not, you don't need them. I'm not sure what the labor rate per hour is in Canada but here in New York it's about $65.00 per hour US currency. Any dealer can assess a reasonable markup on parts and of course there is the installation as well. Are these locking lugnuts needed? Ask your insurance agency if they are getting reports of stolen wheels and while you have them on the phone, ask if there are any discounts to your premium for having the locking lugs. If so, they may pay for themselves in a very short time. One of your responders says that dealers do this to "jack up the profit line" or something like that but as a Nissan sales rep I can tell you and common sense will also tell you that on a $25.00 part that there isn't a whole lot of profit built into that. I'm sure that they are charging about .4 (4 tenths) labor plus sales tax if applicable in your area. Why people are like that? I don't have a clue. Also with your insurance company ........ be sure that they are aware of the STANDARD side curtain air bags as well as side air bags (located in the sides of the front two seats) as well as front driver and passenger air bags, there may be more insurance discounts for you. I have sold a couple of Versa's here since their arrival and one was an "SL" with "Intelligent key". Did your sales rep tell you about the tire pressure monitoring system which is standard? Enjoy your new car. I've been nothing short of being impressed with them.

Nissan Sales Rep NY

"Max" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
NissanSalesRep

So adding $50 to a $25 part (which is already a retail price) is reasonable? Speaking as the offending responder, here's a clue for you - when I was shopping for my 2000 Acura TL, the line was that they "automatically" add tinted windows, wheel locks, air deflector, mud flaps to all the cars for only $1500 dealer markup. Do you have a clue yet? Options are just that - options. Its one thing to make the buyer aware of available options. Its quite another to install them "automatically" on every car and expect the buyers to ante up.

Reply to
E Meyer

All i can say is dont belive everyone dude

Reply to
i need help via CarKB.com

While I agree that they should have phrased it differently ("Sir, we offer these locking lugnuts for your alloys, which we highly recommend"), they aren't creaming him like you may think. It's a $25 part, taking the old lugs and putting the lockable ones on is $25-30 in labor. So, it's $20-$25 in profit for the dealer, which percentagewise is in-line with anything else the service department does.

Well, that's an outright jack-job, and if enough people refuse to pay it, they'll stop doing that. However, I'm guessing that anyone who is rube enough to pay the premium for a cheesed-out Honda will pay the extra $1500 and smile.

Settle down, I was just kidding.

Reply to
Rich

Thank you for your reply. I have rquested that the dealer simply sell me the parts and I will install them myself (I have a torque wrench so can ensure they get the 83lb/ft as spec'd).

I am curious where you are located as here in Canada, there are no Versa's equipped with tire pressure monitoring systems (at least according to the dealer and Nissan Canada's web site). What would I look for to see if this is on my car?

Intelligent Key? If you are referring to the transponder style key that is in integral part of the ignition immobilizer, then yes, Versa SL's are sold that way in Canada. There is also a second fob which controls the keyless entry locks and security alarm.

I'm still curious about the tire pressure monitoring.

Cheers: Max

Reply to
Max

My response to that is .............. Let's be real here so that you have a clue because you've gone off in left field. NOTHING IS AUTOMATIC ! But also, we're talking about $50.00 and not $1500.00 which is a far cry than what the original poster was talking about. If they do that, refuse to take the car. It's really as simple as that.

Q."So adding $50 to a $25 part (which is already a retail price) is reasonable"?

A.Yes, when you consider the labor. Half is the part and half is the labor for installation.. I didn't condone these actions and I don't condone anything as "automatic" and I consider it wrong to do. My customers don't get surprises. Everything is straight forward and honest.

As far as your Acura goes. Did you pay the extra $1500 and if so, why? If you did please take your anger out on the dealership that you bought the car from and not me. At my dealership we do sell the extras but nothing is included as "automatic" and I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing. Not that it's not possible, I just hadn't heard of it.

Good Day, Robin

Reply to
NissanSalesRep

Of course not. And by the time the deal was completed, most of the added stuff stayed on the car without charge.

I am not expressing any anger at them, just at your apparent arrogance. I have been buying cars for over 40 years. I never encountered a dealer of American cars who did this, but my experiences with Japanese car dealers has been just the opposite. The only Japanese car dealer I ever encountered who didn't do this was an Infiniti dealer. I'm glad you work for a more honest dealer, but I don't see where you need to be attacking me because I told the OP he did not have to buy these things simply because they told him it was automatic.

Reply to
E Meyer

Robin,

Thank you for your reply. I've actually discussed the locking wheel nut situation with the business owner, and he was in agreeance with one of the other newsgroup posters, and said that this was an oversight on the part of a new (only been there for 3 months) salesman, and that my feedback was appreciated. At the next sales meeting he would be discussing an appropriate strategy for his salepeople to use, when introducing the idea of purchasing wheellocks.

We enjoyed a long and frank discussion about automobile dealer sales practices in my city, in general, and both agreed that his dealership was very good in trying to be better than the rest, when dealing with clients/prospective clients.

To make a long story short, he very generously offered the product and installation at no charge to me.

Cheers: Max

Reply to
Max