Nissan 1996 Quest, do I need a new battery or an alternator?

Hello Experts,

Recently, I had to jump-start my 96 Quest minivan. Since my battery was still under warranty, I had AutoZone guys check it out. They say the battery was good, but alternator was putting out only 60 amps versus required 110 amps. It sounded logical at first, but after reading few posts on various newsgroups, now I am not so sure. Is 60 amps output measured while idling too low? Should I look into anything else before I get alternator replaced? If I do need a new alternator, is going to a Nissan dealer recommended over other stores like pep-boys etc.

TIA

P Adhia

Reply to
P Adhia

The 60 amps doesn't really mean anything. The question is what is the voltage at idle with the lights on? If it's over 12.5V or so the alt is likely fine. Do your alt and abs lights come one? They likely would if the alt was bad.

Reply to
JimV

I dare to say that the voltage and the amps are both important. Otherwise there would not be 60 amp or 110 amp alternators. 60 amps already means that the alternator voltage is higher than the battery's. Besides, the voltage in the system can be thrown out of whack by problems in the electrical system including the battery.

Important is that if the alternator is putting out something and does not reach the amps specified in the manual (owner's), the drive belt could be slipping and not necessarily squealing. A few months ago had to deal with just such a case. Besides, there are other possible causes for low current, among them, low voltage due to defective rectifiers, shorted armature windings, loose connections, worn out carbon brushes, etc. etc.

In any case, good luck.

P Adhia wrote:

Reply to
AS

The only way to really test the alternator is to put an ammeter in series with the battery and check current as electrical load is increased. If the alternator keeps up with the load, then it's OK. If not, it's not OK. I presume the test that was performed was to put a 60 amp load on the alternator and it did indeed output 60 amps. Hence, the conclusion that the alternator is good. Sounds reasonable. If the warning light is not on and the voltage is around

14 volts and it keeps up with the current load, all is well.
Reply to
al