Nissan 4x4 transmission problem

I have a 1990 Nissan 4x4, 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. It makes a conspicuous metallic rattling noise in all gears, but especially first and second. Meanwhile, 5th gear is out. I can put the stick into the right position and it does not pop out, but it remains in neutral. No extra noise when this is done. Also, getting it into reverse is a little tricky but once done, it works fine.

4x4 works fine in both high and low, truck is well maintained and clean and relatively low (140,000) miles, basically everything seems fine other than the tranny problem. And it drives just fine in first through 4th, no apparent problems (although it would not surprise me if I am grinding the rest of the tranny into dust.)

A guy whom I don't trust at all thinks it is a clutch bearing, but I have my doubts.

I have not pulled the plug to look for pieces of metal but I plan to soon.

So the way I see it here are my options:

- fix the clutch throwout bearing and hope against hope that it solves the noise (probably wouldn't get 5th gear back, though);

- get a used tranny from a junkyard, and either install it myself (amateur) or find someone with more skills than me who's willing to do it;

- get a rebuilt tranny, with same two sub-options;

- buy a brand new tranny from Nissan, if available;

- change the fluid and pray that the pieces of metal get flushed out and I am left with a vehicle with good working 1st through 4th and reverse;

- do nothing, keep driving it until the transmission is totally destroyed, and re-up my AAA membership so I can get a free tow when I break down.

I'm looking for input on the merits of all of these options and estimates as to cost.

Reply to
petegw42

This sounds like a joke...! Your tranny is wasted! Get another one.

-SP

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete

I have a 91 4x4 that has tranny nightmares....i got a reman tranny for $800 and that lasted 2 years....then i got a junk yard one for 100 bucks and that lasted 5 months....now i need to find another!

My tranny lost everything but 4th gear while i was on the turnpike driving at 65mph. It just acted like it fell out of 5th. Not a noise bang crack or anything. I can start the truck and put it into any gear but 4th with out touching the clutch.

Anyone know what could have happened? I know the tranny is shot,but what happened and why is what i'd like to know.

Any reputable places out there to get a reman or get this one rebuilt?

Thanks for any help you could give!

prez

Reply to
fgrprez