Nissan Altima 2002 (auto) - RPM drops and oil pressure light comes on

Hi,

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima. Recently the RPM drops when the car is stopped or idling really low (~550). However, when I'm driving it's fine. Also, the oil pressure light comes on during the RPM drop phase.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks Maz

Reply to
mazdotnet

check the oil level with the engine not running

Reply to
Kenny

In message , Kenny writes

Normally on a flat surface, and the engine at whatever the manual states, normally cold.

Reply to
Clive

But it wasn't like this before. It's been a month now. Usually it's around 800 RPM but recently it dropped. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks Maz

Reply to
Kenny

Unless there's reason to think otherwise, I'd have assumed that the low oil pressure was a direct result of low engine RPM.

Reply to
John Henderson

800rpm strikes me as high, I'd have thought that this would only be during warm up and that the idle would be normally about 600 to 650rpm with a hot engine. I'm thinking engine management problems? Maybe it's failed and gone into safe or get you home mode, though like you I'd want to check the oil level, I'd suspect low rpm for low pressure.
Reply to
Clive