Nissan Altima 98 with a rust spot

Greetings from Montreal,

I have a 1998 Altima (black) that I have had since September 1997. I love this car. It has been very good to me.

This past summer I noticed a small rust spot under the back driver's side window. It was a small spot about the size of half a dime. I was quite upset to see this because the rest of the car is totally rust free as I rustproof it every year.

I consider it strange that a rustspot should develop so high up on the car.

Wanting to fix this problem I promptly filed (yes with a small file taking it to bare metal) the spot a bit bigger than the rustspot and then painted it with two coats of black touchup paint and a coat of clear coat. I used one of those double ended pencil type paint/clearcoat sticks. It was a bit difficult to get all the rust off near the top edge because it went under the rubber moulding of the window trim. I did my best.

9 months later I see rust forming throughout the whole area that I touched up!....Aarghgh!

Questions:

1) What is the best way to stop the rust? 2) Can such a thing actually be done?

Any suggestions to bring the car back (or closer) to its original beauty would be appreciated.

Thanks

Theo

Reply to
Theo

look into a product called POR 15, you will be amazed at what this stuff does

Reply to
Shawn