Nissan Altima engineering gripe

I don't understand why a fully loaded 2008 Altima 2.5SL would have cut outs for fog lights and no option to purchase them (it seems that this isn't a new problem as ng discussions point to this being the case in former models also). Does anyone know why this happened? When you ask dealers about it, they almost all say that it's impossible to upgrade when the reality is that many of these cars (mine included) have the harness/column wiring for the fogs and simply need the lights, brackets and a new light stalk. If anyone here works anywhere near Nissan R&D - How does this happen? On the plus side, it's a great vehicle and this is likely my only gripe.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

Usually there's more to it than that. For example, Nissan's with foglights also have beefier alternators. Foglights by themselves add an additional load of 10 amps.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Only when they are on - which should be almost never when used properly.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Exaclty . . . . "used properly" which is almost never. Also, it doesn't matter if the fogs are off most of the time. The alternator must be chosen with a amperage capacity such that it can handle a full load even if it is ever so brief. If the AC, rear defogger, headlights and fog are on at the same time, the ALT has to handle the full load.

CD

Reply to
codifus

I would think the amp on the Bose system would create a similar excess load so it would be reasonable to upgrade the alt on the Bose system optioned Altimas. Now, what's reasonable and what's acceptable to the OEM are sometimes two different entities. Either way, even if the alt did need more windings or better built rectifiers, the option should be available. You would think that the OEM would allow the purchaser to make the decision.

Thanks for all your comments. I am going to go with parts from a 3.5SE and I will let you all know how it works out. I can put a DSO on the alt and or fog circuit also if you want.

Thanks, Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

Bose systems in the car use high frequency (>100 Khz) switching amp technology. Basically, it's an AC power amp, and it's extremely efficient. If it was a DC based amp of most car audio, its power needs would be tremendous.

As for the options game with Nissan, I feel your pain. Try adding just a sunroof and Nissan say you have to get the comfort and convenice package which includes leaterher seats, Bose stereo, carpeted floor mats, yada yada.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Thanks for all the advice and guidance. I have installed the light stalk from a 3.5SL and I have the foglights in the mail. I have confirmed that both of the foglight harnesses are intact and tucked behind the bumper (one is under the wiper reservoir and the other is taped to another harness inside the front fender well. If there's any interest, I will report back in once I have installed and tested everything. I will run a check on the amp draw vs the output on the alt also. I don't intend on driving around to the mall fogs on - I commute along a shoreline for over an hour daily and the fog can be relentless at times.

Thanks, Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

Thanks for all the help to those who responded. I have now installed the new light stalk and have the fog lights in my posession. I will install them over the weekend and let anyone who has a remote level of interest know how it progressed and what the real word amp draw difference is.

Thanks, Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

Let us know how it goes.