Nissan C-22 Van Coolant Leak

Hi all,

My family bought a Nissan C-22 van back in 1988 (87 model, 112k mileage), and they still have this car today. For the past few years, the car has been driven sparingly (mainly, just to handle short errands, and to transport large items on short-haul drives), and I must say that we have been pretty happy with it. We had all the recall upgrades performed and opted out of the buyback program in the early

90s. We have had no problems with the car until now, and I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what we can do to fix the thing.

A few weeks back the car shut itself down due to a high engine temperature (probably one of the failsafes put it during the recall). Upon further investigation we discovered that there was very little coolant left in the car, and we have now confirmed that there is a coolant leak somewhere. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what we can do to troubleshoot the problem - those of you familiar with the C-22 engine compartment will know that it is a difficult task to actually do any work on it. I am trying to figure out what the source of the problem is - is it the radiator? water pump? leaky hose somewhere? I would like to try to fix this myself (because the cost of sending it to a mechanic would probably exceed the value of the car) and am looking for any tips.

I know that most of you would suggest that I junk the car, but we would like to avoid that if possible - if it comes to that, I would either try to sell it as a collector's item or junk it, but this car has been useful to us. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

-Fiaz

Reply to
FS

It could be any or all of those things, and you can add a broken head gasket to the list. What have you done to try to locate the source of the leak yourself? Did you look for coolant dripping on the ground? Did you feel around in the engine compartment for hose or radiator leaks? Did you check for a cracked coolant reservoir? Did you check the heater in the passenger compartment for leaks or for a wet floor underneath? Is the engine oil contaminated with coolant which may indicate a broken water pump seal? Does the car idle rough or seems to have lost power, which may indicate coolant being sucked into the cylinders from a broken head gasket>

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

If there isn't a puddle of coolant under the van, first pull the plugs and look for one with coolant. If you find one, probable blown head gasket. If you don't, with the plugs out, have someone crank the starter for a few seconds while you watch for coolant coming out of the plug holes. If that happens, probable blown head gasket. If it doesn't, go to next paragraph.

Ok, so either there was a puddle underneath, or there wasn't because it happened in a parking lot or on the road. Fill it with coolant (appropriate antifreeze and water (distilled water is a real good idea unless you live where the tap water is really good). Fire it up, and let it idle till it's warm. See where the coolant comes out.

If that doesn't work, drive it and watch the coolant level (DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP HOT).

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

It sounds like a bad thermostat and/or a bad radiator cap.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

years,

and I

recall

early

the

recall).

little

is a

thoughts on

familiar

difficult task

I just replaced the water pump for this problem on mine - slow leak, water on the floor each day. A clue for low water - on mine, the engine idles closer to 2000 RPM when it gets hot (neutral gear). 1200 is normal. If you see this, stop, add water to the overflow tank immediately, and wait a bit for it to cool and suck in the water.

Bob

Reply to
Bob