Nissan Diesel Engine conversions

Hi All,

Long Story short. I have a 1993 Pathfinder (Turrano outside of the U.S.). Auto tranny blew (has V6 engine) and it's going to cost $2400US to fix. Doing a web/google search for a good used tranny to buy I came across a company that sells Nissan Diesels (with trannies still attached) from Japanese cars. My Pathfinder has 190,000 miles on it and the engines and trannies these guys were selling had around 40,000 miles and for a whole lot less than it was going to take to rebuild the existing tranny. Since the engine I bought (a 2.7 Liter)came out of a Turrano I figured it would be a fairly easy bolt up affair - wrong. The engine mounts are totally different.

My question is this, has anyone out there on this group done a conversion like the one I'm attempting (gas to diesel)? If so, where did you get the mounts or did you have to manufacture your own? If there are mounts that are available where or who should I contact?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post here or contact me at snipped-for-privacy@cs.com

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike O'Barr

You're probably on your own on the mounts and dealing with the timer for the glow plugs, mounting a battery large enough to start a diesel, exhaust etc.

Reply to
Steve T

sounds like a huge waste of $$ and time..

new gas tank. all new electrical..

new guages..

Reply to
WWE 4 Life

People don't realize -conversions- cost a BUNCH more than fixing what's there in most cases. People do chevy V8 conversions to Z cars because they have a V8 out of a old pickup truck and think it's going to be cheaper than rebuilding the Z inline 6. Most of those "projects" end up at the crusher after they realize it's going to take more than the $45 mount kit to make it work. One of the few conversions that makes sense economically is the old Jag V12 to chevy V8 conversion and even then it takes thousands to do it right, it's just it costs -more- thousands to fix the V12.

Reply to
Steve T

Try 'Novak Conversions' or 'Advanced Adapters'. Steve is right, conversions become a real job. I have a 68 Jeepster Commando with a 455 Buick, and am currently converting one to run a GM 1999 Votek 4.3 L engine. The mounts were the easy part.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Don't get me wrong, conversions are cool and done for the right reasons can turn out great. I saw a 4.3 vortec in a 90 RX-7 convertable and it was realy cool. But the people who think they are "saving money" doing this soon quickly learn there is nothing cheap about doing them.

Reply to
Steve T

Don't give up it is worth it and write everything down so you can tell me how to do it and eleminate a lot of the hastle. I want to do the same exact thing. The only thing you can get a diesel in is a giant truck and a VW. It will be worth 25% more as a diesel than a gas. I just saw a 13 year old VW Jetta with 200,000 miles sell for $3000.00 on ebay: because you can not get diesels in the US. Good luck.

Reply to
maddasher

I am getting an 1985 Nissan Pickup that is in pristeen shape (granny only drove it to church on sunday) it has a gas engine but I would like to replace it with a diesel so I can run biodiesel fuel. Nissan had sold a diesel PU in the same year. Where did you find the company selling Nissan engines, and do they have diesels. Since it was in the same truck I would think the conversion would be fairly simple (same engine mounts) Any thought? Oh and by the way, if this works out, I will have a 1985 Nissan gas engine in great shape for sale.

Reply to
CreativeGuy

Reply to
andrew

Using "biodiesel" as a search string in Google returned more than 444,000 hits.

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond

Reply to
Louis Bybee