Nissan Murano CVT

I am curious to know... When at a light waiting for a few minutes, is it harmful to put the CVT in to neutral?

Also, if approaching a stop, and if the vehicle is rolling at less than maybe 5 mph, will it do damage to the CVT to put it in to neutral?

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

I own a 2008 Maxima with a CVT and I suspect that I have put it in neutral under many different situations (although I don't know why I would have) without doing any harm.

OTOH, why would you want to put it in neutral at a stoplight even if you were there for several minutes? I have put it in "park" while waiting a long time at a car wash, but neutral?????

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Reply to
Mark

Jerry G. wrote the following:

I know nothing about CVTs, but does the CVT have hill-hold like the automatics have? I drive a standard shift (5 speed) and I just depress the clutch while holding the brake pedal down until I get a chance to move..

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:hfOdnY0d57GSwofQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

it doesn't hurt them to put it into neutral when you're stopping somewhere,so why should it hurt at a light,as long as the car is not moving?

What purpose is that for? actually,you can put an automatic into neutral at any time. I guess it's necessary if "unintended acceleration" occurs(runaway/stuck throttle).

I once put an auto tranny car into -reverse- when I began sliding on ice and couldn't brake to a stop before hitting the car in front of me,it was a pushbutton shift 63 Dodge Polara.It worked,I stopped immediately and even began going backwards,didn't hit the car in front of me. I don't think you can do that with modern automatics.

does the CVT have a torque converter or an electric clutch? Torque converters have "creep",clutches don't.

For hillholding,I use the handbrake that is between the front seats;that is what it's designed for. Generally,auto trannies don't need hillholding,they already have enough creep built in,except for really steep hills.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote the following:

I also did that when braking on snow or ice downhill. With the foot on the brake, shift into reverse and apply gas. I last had to do that in about 1996 in a 1995 Ford Crown Vic. That's when I had to drive in snow or icy conditions. Now, I just wait for the highway dept. to clean the roads.

Reply to
willshak