Nissan Quest CV boot leaking

I recently took my Quest to get an oil change and the mechanic told me that I had to change the fuel filter. But when I got home and checked the "check- up" page he gave me of a mini inspection they did to the car --- the paper said that my CV boot was leaking and that both axles would have to be changed. (The mechanic didn't tell me that there was a problem with the CV boot, he just mentioned the fuel filter.)

Anyway, what is the CV boot and how important is it to get the leak fixed? I am going on a trip this weekend and I want to know if I am going to have any problems with the car. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
bmelend

Which CV boot? Left or right, inner or outer? Be careful of a ripoff! A split/leaking CV boot or boots does not automatically mean that the CV joint is bad and that you need axle replacement. Read up on CV joints and boots WBMA.

Truckdude

CV constant velocity.

The CV boots are rubber parts that cover the internals of the joints in the drive axles, those which transfer power from the transmission to the front wheels. There are two boots per axle (one on each end) and one axle per wheel. If the boots are torn, they will allow the grease to leak and the dirt to go in the cv joints. If unattended, a torn boot will lead to cv joint damage. You can tell if they are good just by looking at them and making sure that they are not torn, i.e. they are not leaking grease.

Good luck

bmelend wrote:

Reply to
AS

bmelend,

Think more along the lines of CV Bootie - For front wheel drive vehicles, you must not only be able to turn the axels to spin the tires and "Pull" the car, but you must also be able to steer. The CV Joint, or Constant Velocity Joint allows you to do both - kind of like your shoulder - rotator cuff. This joint must remain lubricated with a special thick grease (You have heard of Axel Grease, of course) and the bottie holds it in.

Start your car and turn your wheels hard to one side or the other and shut it off, make sure it is in park and and/or has the emergency brake (Manual Tran) applied and then look inside of your front wheels - Look for a black rubber bootie that appears somewhat like a plunger head. They should last for a long time, but things wear differently depending on usage, humidity and a number of environmental and hazardous elements.

Regardless, it should not be very expensive to change out now - the expense comes if you ignore them and let all the fluid leak and the joints inside locks up, or just as bad, break up.

Do a quick Google or Ask on CV Joints...plenty of info...

bmelend wrote:

Reply to
kellyron500

I have a 1999 Quest and at 105K my CV boots started to leak. I had them replaced by my local mechanic. Price per boot was about $115 (or so), plus labor.

Reply to
juanalong

Ahem... some people say you get torn CV boots by taking your vehicle to get the oil changed...

Reply to
DemoDisk

LoL, I am one of those...

I was ask>

Reply to
AS

Thanks for everyone's replies! It sure did help. I decided to get them looked at and make sure I take care of the problem before it is too late.

Reply to
bmelend via CarKB.com

Hmmm. If they can't get money out of one pocket, they'll try your other pocket.

You said "another claim." You took 'em to court? If I understood correctly, well, good for you!

I swear, the things they'll do... My previous car, I bought 4 tires during a "Free Lifetime Rotate & Balance" special. The second time in there, "Steve" showed me condensation inside the wheel cylinder boots -- drops of actual *water*! Oooh! When I declined a brake rebuild Steve cross-threaded one of the lugs -- only one -- with the impact wrench badly enough to stretch it. I kept it as a souvenir.

JM

Reply to
DemoDisk

My GF took her VW Passat to the dealer. They told her she needed new tie rod ends. Tie rods are fine, there's one torn tie rod boot.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet