Nissan Sentra missing cylinder help?

Hello all,

Yesterday morning my '92 Nissan Sentra (GA16DE engine) ran great. Two hours later when I started it up, I experienced rough idle, bogging on acceleration and a significant loss of power on acceleration.

I changed the spark plugs today, hoping that would fix the problem. (The old spark plugs appeared to be worn, but otherwise normal. No evidence of improper combustion.) When I started it, the same symptoms occurred. I drove it around town to run errands anyway. About 10 city miles later, I parked, let it cool for an hour, then pulled the plugs to see if there were any anomalies.

I found the 1, 2, and 4 spark plugs had a very light greyish-tan coating, which I believe is indicative of normal combustion. The #3 plug appeared to be completely clean, as if it had come right out of the box.

Is this indicative of a fuel injection problem? If so, how can I test the fuel injector? Any thoughts on likely other causes?

Reply to
SEA.CFI

pull one plug wire off at a time if engine runs rough then that plug and injector is working, plug back in, if no change when unplugging plug wire then that is your problem area. It's probably an injector.

Reply to
evodawg

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why I didn't think of pulling the wire off the injector in the first place. That's what I get for being a novice!

Will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to get back to it.

Reply to
Matt