Nissan Truck Starting Troubles

Hey guys, I have a rather large rpblem with my 1994 Nissan 4x4 Hardbody Pikcup. Sometimes it decides that it doesnt want to turn over and start. The problem first started a few months back when I would turn the ignition to start the truck, it would hesitate then turn over. After awhile it got where I could trun the key and you would here all the clicks and everything would come on, but the starter wouldnt turn over. I thought the problem was in my ignition swtich ,so I replaced the elctrical portion of this, and everything worked for awhile.. Out of the blue the problem resurfaced worse than ever. Id have to sit for 15 minutes turn the swtich on, then off then on, slam down on the clutch, everything till it finally would crank. I finally decided to try and replace the starter. Took the Starte to Advance Auto PArts where they tested it and it showed that it was putting only half the power it should be.... PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Boughta new starter and everything was great. Well today, guess what? I was stuck for 45 minutes trying to get the damn truck started. The problem has gone from a normal truck problem I must fix to a dman nuisance. ANyone that has had similar problems please reply with what your solution was. I think the problem may lie in the swtich that is located on teh clutch pedal to tell the truak the clutch is in and it can start. Just a thought. ANy help is appreciate... Todd Sides

Reply to
N. Todd Sides

How old is the battery?

Reply to
E. Meyer

appreciate...

Reply to
N. Todd Sides

Your truck is almost 10 years old. Some electrical connections may be corroded or dirty. Try cleaning all the relevant connections with a wire brush, and applying silicone dialectric grease, or something similar. Do the battery terminals, ground connections to chassis and engine block, etc, and be thorough.

Also, for a US model, check the clutch interlock switch and the interlock relay (under the hood). Also check their terminals for corrosion and clean/grease, if necessary. You can bypass the relay contacts for testing purposes by pulling the relay and putting a jumper across the correct terminals. I'm not sure of the wire colours, but one relay contact terminal should go to the battery, and the other goes to the starter solenoid. You can trace this with a meter.

If the truck starts consistently with the inhibitor relay bypassed, then the problem is most likely the relay or clutch switch. Make sure you're in neutral when you start!

Reply to
Anonymous

Buy an OEM starter.

Reply to
Mind Melt

Another poster mentioned an interlock relay. DO THIS! I have a '93 and have just replaced my second one (Original lasted 5 years, replacement...ditto). I was having exactly the same sounding problem. I bought mine from AutoZone.

It won't be listed in the computer, but they can cross reference it. Mine was a part # 41-5038, GP Sorensen brand.(I know this because the box is still sitting on the table, LOL. It was less than $15.)

If you want to test this, locate the relay. It is probably right next to the battery on the fenderwell. My original was powder blue but... There is a large plug in and a small plug in, two wires each. Pull out the large plug and short across the two terminals on the plug (not on the relay). Piece of wire, paper clip, whatever will work. Warning: Your safety interlock is deactivated, it will start in gear! See if it starts now. Try it several times, If it does, I'd replace it!.

HTH zamboni

Reply to
zamboni30000

I'm not sure how prudent this is, but my '87 Canadian model Hardbody came from the factory without an interlock relay. In fact, I've owned several Japanese vehicles with manual transmissions ('86 Sentra, '86 Mazda 323) which also didn't have an interlock. You could start any of these vehicles in gear, and with the clutch engaged -- a good(?) way to pull yourself out of an intersection, if you suddenly run out of gas or something! I suspect this feature is probably some sort of legally mandated safety thing for the lawsuit-happy US market. My wiring diagram just shows a jumper across where the interlock relay would be for Canadian models.

I don't know how prudent it would be, but instead of replacing the relay, you could just bypass it, solving the problem once and for all. Then again, if you're not in the habit of pressing in the brake and clutch when you start the motor, you could be in for a nasty surprise. I could be wrong, but more recent Canadian model vehicles may have the interlock, like the US models.

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
N. Todd Sides