Nissan vs. Nissan

Hey, I like my 95 SE-R and all (and our past 96 G20), but why does everyone rant and rave about the SR20DE engine? At 70 horsepower per liter, it's not all that efficient, certainly not now and not even in 1991 when we all first saw it. It seems to have oil leak problems (mild ones, at least), and that AGV(?) valve seems to keep blowing up. And they got rid of it because it wouldn't pass emissions anymore, so it couldn't have been very clean either.

So Nissan's two famous 4-bangers of the 90s -- SR20DE and KA24DE -- are out of production worldwide? There's still that GA18DE (or whatever) that's still in the base Sentras, right? And what were those SR20VEs people were talking about a few years ago?

And out of curiosity, does anyone know the approximate weight of these: SR20DE KA24DE VG30DE VQ30DE VQ35DE ?

Wouldn't it be cool to drop a VQ35DE into a 240SX? 350SX! That should take its 0-60 time down from 7.5 seconds to 5 flat, huh? (the heavier 350Z does

5.4) But would a VQ35DE fit? And does it weigh much more than the KA24DE? People used to speculate that the VQ30DE would fit but Nissan never had a RWD application for it, so it would take more conversion, right?

And speaking of engine swaps, the law goes that it's always legal to put a newer engine in an old car, but not an older engine in a new car?

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

I don't think the deal about the engine was it's efficiency but rather it's unmeasureable "grin factor" that many magazine reviews commented on (1991-1994 C&D 10best). 70 rated HP/liter is not bad but you need to remember HP is not everything. Unless you had an auto tranny, what made the SR20DE cars exciting was it torque and horsepower ratio to the weight of the vehicle. Cars with higher horsepower engines lacking low end torque often fell to the SE-R in 1/4 mile runs. The SR20DE was also over engineered in order to handle being turbocharged and as time went on, the aftermarket was able to supply quality parts to make the SE-Rs and it's siblings perform extremely well.

All cars eventuall produces oil leaks as seals and gaskets fail with wear and age. I have no idea why your EGR valve keeps blowing up. This is the first time I've heard of this problem. Many emissions items were eliminated for different reasons including intake design changes, camshaft changes, computer management revisions, all to keep up with the changing new car emission regulations. AFAIK, the big changes occured in 1994, 1995, 1998, with 2000 being pretty much a reworking of the whole engine.

Why is the KA considered famous? Only in the US did Nissan use the KA for more than a truck engine. The evolution of the SR20DE is near it's end but it is still in production as the SR20VE and SR20VET used in some nissans including the XTrail.

1990's had the GA16DE and today the base model engine for the USDM Sentra is the QG18DE. Very different engines. SR20VE is still around today, just not in the US market.

It would be different. There may not be enough room though as I believe the VQ is too wide. This is why the popular swaps tend to be the SR20DET and the RB25DETT, both inline architecture much like the truck's KA24DE.

Converting a FWD engine to RWD is possible but rare due to cost.

Check your local codes. It will be different in from one place to the next.

DC

Reply to
DC_Hawaii

Na, both are big overweight lumps made for the USA.

What you want is a SR20VET. Ball bearing turbo, 250bhp, 125bhp/L. They only let New Zealand and Japan have them in the Silvia/200SX S15. Drop in any 240SX, should just need European dump pipe to clear steering. The Silvia/200SX S15 had the same floorpan as the 240SX S14. It had some lightweight bits like alloy rear suspension and a helical LSD in place of the VLSD. Did 0-60 in 5.5sec same as 350Z on

25bhp less. Initially easier and cheaper to add more power as it's a turbo. Nissan's advert claimed it had "Power to burn", with a photo of the 200SX doing what the 'S' platform cars do best - going sideways.

But some people prefer a 20Kg lighter cast iron CA18DET to the alloy SR20DET in their 200SX turbo RS13.

Peter Hill

Yet another motor we never got in the USA. The CA18 came in the '88 Pulsar over here with plenty of HP and that wonderful 8K redline in that fly-weight car. By the next year they had detuned it (emissions, I guess) and it was just another motor. We never got the turbo version.

FYI - the Pulsar is a different model in UK and AU. It was the Ex-something in AU.

Reply to
- Bob -

The legendary VQ series engines are being described as overweight lumps?? Shame on you! Go wash out your mouth with soap and water!! You are banned from any and all Nissan activity!!!

Just kidding:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus