NissTech, help w/mysterious noise?

On Saturday I heard an ominous noise when I was driving my

1994, and for the life of me can't figure what made the sound.

It was very cold here (near zero including wind chill), and shortly after starting the Pathfinder I was driving it up a hill, with overdrive off.

I noticed that the power was quite poor, and a few seconds later I heard a loud groaning noise. The nois seemed to be independent of the movement of the car. Also, as a test when I was stopped at a light, I shifted the car into neutral and I do not believe that had an effect on the noise.

It seemed that the sound came from the left-hand side of the engine area, looking from the driver's point of view.

While I was stopped at the light, the groaning sound began to "wind down" somewhat like an airplane engine. Then the noise stopped with a soft bump and all was normal with respect to engine strength. Drove the car on a 50-mile trip after that and it was fine.

I hate to bring cars into shops with vague descriptions, as that can lead to an expensive fishing expedition, so any leads you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Does this sound like a bad timing chain? Near-frozen engine oil?

Note: Occasionlly I have noticed a different noise coming from the engine area. It's a faint, high-pitched sound that seems to be independent of the speed of the car. It stops after a few seconds.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Al Cunniff

Noisy bearings on a thermostatically-controled fan maybe? Just a guess. Does it even have one?

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

Update: in 2-18-04 posting below, I found that the noise may have been related to the water pump or timing belt. (Fingers crossed) it may be fixed now.

Reply to
Al Cunniff