Overdrive....

I've heard several different opinions as to when you are supposed to use it. I'm looking for the correct one. I drive a 95' Nissan PU LX if that's any help.

The Dawg

Reply to
J-Dawg

On the highway.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

I've heard several different opinions as to when you are supposed to use it. I'm looking for the correct one. I drive a 95' Nissan PU LX if that's any help.

The Dawg

Reply to
NissTech

judge when it will be needed

(Father forgive me, I'm about to question the wisdom of The Elder.)

If that's the case, why did Nissan put a button on there to turn it off? Are there no circumstances under which you might want to over ride the computer?

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

Well, actually, they put the button on there because they didn't want to design the shifter to allow you to actually select all of the gears the normal way. That button is the only way you can select "3" on the transmission. For a different approach, take a look at a recent Honda. The shift lever has positions for 1,2,d3,d4,d5 (if its a five speed). d4 and d5 are both overdrive gears.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I turn the OD off in the city and on country roads that have alot of hills and valleys. I'm sure in some way it's easier on the tranny not to have to shift in and out of 4th all the time.

Reply to
Mind Melt

Towing a load, going up a slight incline, etc. Situations where the tranny will go back and fourth between overdrive and third excessively.

Nick

will judge when it will be needed

Reply to
Nick