Overheating trouble- Ka24E in an Axxess

Started with a higher than normal temp. I blew the head gasket getting it home. Fixed the gasket, engine runs very well, BUT it still overheats.

-Installed a new thermostat even though the old one was still good. (rare for a thermostat thats been "cooked!)

-R&R water pump in case that was a problem , but it looks mint.

-Radiator is only not quite 2 years old and looks great and the radiator place says there is nothing wrong with it.

I've never had ANY trouble with temperature in this vehicle, until now.

ANy silly Nissan quirks that might guide me to the real problem??

TIA,

-Speedy

Reply to
speedy

When does the engine overheat? At idle, coasting, ...?

Overheating could be the result of:

-Lack of lubrication.

-Lean air/fuel mixture.

-Defective radiator cap.

-Restricted exhaust pipe.

-Trapped air in cooling system.

-Colapsed, blocked hoses.

-defective fan (is it electric? mechanical?) IF electric, relays, fuses, etc.

-Restricted air flow for the radiator.

-Blocked passages in cooling system, radiator.

Good luck!

speedy wrote:

Reply to
AS

anytime, it only gets warmer as it runs

nope -Lack of lubrication. nope -Lean air/fuel mixture. nope -Defective radiator cap. nope -Restricted exhaust pipe. maybe -Trapped air in cooling system. nope -Colapsed, blocked hoses. nope -defective fan (is it electric? mechanical?) IF electric, relays, fuses, etc. nope -Restricted air flow for the radiator. dont think so -Blocked passages in cooling system, radiator.

I did take out the NEW thermostat and run it. Confirmed that the water pump is doing its job. Next is putting it back and I think I will fill the cooling system through the top hose.

-SP

Reply to
speedy

Retarded spark is one most folks don't know about -- I learned when I dropped the rebuilt original engine into a '68 Firebird 400 ragtop. The spark was retarded, and not much, and on first fire-up it overheated in about five minutes at idle while I was checking other stuff.

Folks, file this one away.

is doing its job. Next is putting it back and I think

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

When this thing started to cook, I bought a NEW thermostat from Autozone. (Well they were nearby and open, but I should know better) I have had problems previously with their thermostats only lasting a few years.

Ran the Axxess with NO thermostat and it didnt get warm. At least that was expected. Put the thermostat back in and it promptly went into the hot zone! Put my old one back in AFTER testing them in a pot of water, and the temp held at where I expected it to be.

The boil test showed me the NEW t-stat opened very slowly and not all the way. It was barely open when the original one was fully open.

I guess you cant trust new out of the box parts anymore.

I'll add thermostats to the DO NOT BUY AT AUTOZONE along with master cylinders.

Now to fix another $&%)_@#_$ leak!

-SP

Reply to
speedy

speedy wrote in news:4838d0b6$0$4068$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

No,you just can't trust aftermarket parts. Use OEM.

I've had the "cross-reference" recommend a TS with the WRONG temp for the car I had. So I bought one from the dealer,it was worth it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik