P0402 & P0304 (1996 Xrta Cab, 4 cyl, Auto, 2wd)

My "Check Engine" light is driving me mad. I've been to 4 different shops, including a Dealer, and nobody has been able to permanently clear it.

I just bought a CarChip E/X at a local auto parts store. Pretty cool little device.

Anyway, I currently have two trouble codes...

P0402 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire

These are actually the two codes that initially set off my Check Engine light back in October. I had a hell of time getting it to pass smog, but finally got passed two weeks ago... after blowing +$1700.

Here's the detail of the parts that have been replaced, in order:

1) EGR Solenoid 2) EGR Valve 3) Throttle Control Valve 4) A couple of cracked vacuum lines 5) O2 Sensor (upper one... not sure if there's a 2nd one) 6) Catalytic Converter (OBD II cat) 7) Spark Plug wires (I just did these today... they were due anyway.. will changed the spark plugs tonight/tomorrow)

After getting items 1, 2 & 3 (above), the truck was failing smog with very high NO readings. My mechanic then changed out item 4, and ran a pre-test smog check. It passed with flying colors. Unfortunately, that shop couldn't run the real test because they cannot certify Gross Polluters, which mine was.

The very next morning, I ran the truck over to someone that can certify Gross Polluters... And it failed for high NO reading, again. This mechanic asked me to let him diagnose the problem and he would guarantee that he would find the problem and get it to pass. He told me that my Catalytic converter was history. So I let him install a new one. Sure enough, it passed smog... Finally :-).

3 days later the damned Check Engine light is back, the idle is very rough, and the truck is really sputtering at speeds under 20mph. Also, I'm getting horrendous gas mileage.

So, anyone have any guesses on what's going on here? I still have $500-$600 dollars till I throw in the towel and head over to the Toyota dealer.

Reply to
Slacker

You should have taken it to the Nissan dealership instead of having your "mechanic" guess at the problem.

I could have fixed this problem for ZERO dollars in parts, that's right Nuthin , nada , zip, zilch .

I see this problem quite often and it can be fixed with 2 tools.

an 8mm allen wrench and a wire coat hanger ..... imagine that

[...]

NissTech

I guess you missed, "I've been to 4 different shops, including a Dealer" part.

Reply to
Slacker

So don't keep us waiting.....

Reply to
Rob Munach

yea niss tech tell us about the wrench and hanger repair ats wat we are here for to share

Reply to
96xekingcab

This webpage might give you a better ideal as to what was causing your PO402 diagnostic code...

Check for a loose or disconnected vacuum line. Start your motor and let it run. Listen for any hissing sound coming from the engine bay as the motor is running. BE VERY CAREFUL you don't get any items of clothing or hanging jewelry near the fanblade or pulleys as the engine is running. You could hurt yourself if you do.

If there are no loose or disconnected vacuum lines, then plug your Carchip E/X device back into your diagnostic port of your truck. Your motor should kick out some sort of diagnostic code & give you an idea as to where exactly to check to see if you can fix your problem.

The previously mentioned link above might be able to help.

ID

Reply to
Idlafie

Thank you very, very much.

Reply to
Slacker

Just a follow up in case someone else experiences the same.

Took it to a different dealer and they recommended a good cleaning of the intake system. I only have a few miles on it right now, but I can report that the sputtering/hesitation is completely gone; She's accelerating super smooth. I think they may have actually fixed it.

On a somewhat related noted, the dealer I went to had some of the best prices and customer service I've experienced. They totally restored my faith in Nissan and their dealers :-) I'm stoked.

Reply to
Slacker